On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|Brand:||Dr. Scholl's Shoes|
|Style:||Fashion Sneakers||Manufacturer:||Dr. Scholl's Shoes|
|Size Type:||Regular||MPN:||Madi Mule|
|US Shoe Size (Women's):||Multiple Variations||Model:||Madi Mule|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Lola Ramona Kitten Green White Pointed Toe Pump with Brogue detail EU 38 UK 5
- Lamica Elegant Leather Boots Leather shoes Boots shoes Leather Long Leg 3160
- Naughty Monkey women Stolen Notte Aderenti, Alti shoes di Avvio , black,
- Rieker Women's Sandals Summer shoes Wedge Sandals Mules V55d8-00 Black New
- BACTA DE TOI FOOTWEAR WOMAN SANDAL GLITTER+LEATHER SILVER - 086C
- GORGEOUS JEWELED GENUINE LEATHER SHOES PASHA, STYLE Ammeron
- TORY BURCH VERBENA TRIBAL SNAKE PRINT BALLET FLATS SHOE SMOKE BLACK 8.5 NEW 265
- Credver Culture Sniper LP Black Night Polar White Men's GSNIH1
- 1350 Jimmy Choo Black Mina Palm Canvas Boots Linen Leather Ankle Booties 40.5
- Adidas Lucas Premiere Primeknit shoes - Core Black Onix VTW White
- BALENCIAGA ARENA OPAQUE red PAPrika RED SNEAKERS SHOES SIZE 9
- Circle G corral dragonfly boots size 6.5 new in box
- Extrem Plateau Heels FLAMINGO-808N - Baby Pink
- JCB F TRACK MENS LEATHER SAFETY WATERPROOF WORK BOOTS STEEL MIDSOLE TOE CAP SIZE
- Los Altos Men's Genuine Caiman, Teju, Ostrich, Shark Western Boots
- Naot Women's Brussels Wedge Sandal - Choose SZ color
- Nike Air Jordan V 5 1999 Retro Black Silver UK size 8.5. DS
- Po-Zu Leather Footwear shoes UK SIZE 5 hight boot lace up leather
- Schutz Womens Chandra Beige High Dress Sandals Heels 9.5 Medium (B,M) BHFO 0652
- Tory Burch THORA Tumbled Leather Metal Logo In Black gold 6
- Adidas gazelle 9 uk. Gum sole, green colorway.
- AQ5329 Adidas Womens Pure Boost X Training shoes- Choose SZ color.
- CESARE PACIOTTI Brown Leather Loafers size 11 C
- Dockers Men's Newpage Leather Sporty Sandal - Choose SZ color
- Giuseppe Zanotti Leopad Women Heels
- Latest Adidas Original Gazelle Men's Trainers (UK 11 EUR 46)-Brown- Brand New
- Men Leather Business Driving Formal Lace up Wedding Punk Plaid Glitter shoes
- New 650 Bally Men Thor Leather Loafers shoes Brown 10.5 US Switzerland
- Nike Loden Pinnacle Mushroom Beige UK Size 6.5 LIMITED EDITION Worn Once
- Reebok Work Men's Ketia RB4895 EH Athletic Safety shoes
- Skechers Men's Studio Comfort Slip-On shoes
- Vince Camuto Armaceli Over The Knee Boots, Black, 3 UK
- SALE Kurt Geiger Carvela high heels
- Ash Rolls Bis 325 Studded Buckle Zip Heels Boots Women's EURO 40M (US 9.5M)
- shoes CAMPER Homme brown Cuir naturel K100373-004
- Dr. Martens Air Wair New Mens Size 6 8053 Nappa Leather Brown oxfords casual
- Geox Men's U Traccia a Trainers White (Papyrus White C1s1z) 10.5 UK
- LACOSTE Carnaby Evo 417 black 734SPM0043024 Sneaker
- Wave Rider 20 Men's Running shoes
- New Balance Women's W998 Ankle-High Leather Running shoes
- Nike Men's Casual shoes Trend shoes Air Max Axis Grey Green Aa2146-300
- Red Wing 3140 Mens Heritage Original Work Chukka Boot
- shoes Saucony Jazz Original Size 10.5 Uk Code 2044-291 -9M
- TORY BURCH Womens gold Metallic Straw Leather Tassels Loafers Sz 6.5
- Womens Black Distressed Leather Studded Cowboy Western Boots Skull Rocker Punk
- Aerosoles Size 6.5 M SARASOTA Black Smooth Knee High Boots New Womens shoes
- Christian Louboutin Altapoppins 150 Nude Leather Platform T Strap Heel Pump 39
- Ecco Sculptured 65 Black Leather Bootie Ankle Boots Women's 41 10-10.5 M
- Keen Targhee EXP WP Cascade Inca gold Boot Hiker Men's sizes 7-17 NEW
- New Balance Mens London Edition 890 Running Trainers Road shoes Lace Up Padded
- Nike SF Air Force 1 Men’s Boots In Burgundy (864024-600 ) UK 9 ,EUR 44 BNIB
- shoes VIA ROMA 15 women Tronchetti Bassi black Pelle naturale 2857-NE
- Sneaker CONVERSE 563419C, color purple
- Women Over Thigh Knee High Boots High Stiletto Heel Strech Party Pull On shoes
- SKECHERS MENS HEMSON SNEAKER BLACK SHOES 2019 FREE POST AUSTRALIA
- Alberta Ferretti Lackleder Sandalen Pumps Gr 39,5 Echt Leder black 1A
- Chaco Women's Flip Ecotread Sandal
- DR. MARTENS Vegan 1460 Black 8-EYE NIB NEW WOMENS SIZE US 10
- shoes GUESS women Zeppe yellow Pelle naturale,Tessuto FLLSS2LEL03-PLA
- NIB Tory Burch MILLER PATENT LEATHER BLACK STAMPED FLORAL Sandals shoes 10 M
- Jimmy Choo Loafer Brown Suede Low Espadrille Size 40.5
- Brand New Tamara Mellon Yellow shoes in size 5 38.
- Crystal Bling Nike Air Max Dia SE Pale Ivory Sneakers 8 BRAND NEW AR7410 101
- Air jordan 3 black cement 2001 Sz 12
- Buffalo Womens ES 30757 Mestico Ankle Boots Black (Preto 01) 7 UK
- DIADORA DAMENSCHUHE DAMEN SCHUHE SNEAKERS TURNSCHUHE NEU EVO AEON WEAVE VIOL BCA
- 1 of 4
- next ›