On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|Occasion:||Special Occasion||Width:||Medium (B, M)|
|US Shoe Size (Women's):||11||Color:||Black|
|Fastening:||Slip On||Heel Type:||Slim|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Womens Leather Pointed Toe Bowknot Decor Slip On Pumps Low Top Bridesmaid shoes
- Nine West 25029948 Womens Haldi Suede- Choose SZ color.
- shoes ZEPPE women SANDALI MODA ESTATE IN PELLE NABUK brown Molinoline 35
- women Karan DKNY Women's Bess Fashion Sable Black Giraffe Leather Sneakers shoes
- Van Dal Womens Gigi Ankle Boots Black (Black Suede Black Manhattan Print)
- PARADE 07JOANA18Â 04 BlackÂ Sports Safety shoes, black, 07JOANA18 04 PT39
- NEW FREE PEOPLE JEFFREY CAMPBELL LUCCA TAN LEATHER LACE UP BOOTS WOMEN'S US 9
- Nike Air Perish Womens 8 Walking shoes White bluee New Old Stock NOS DS 90s VTG
- NIKE AIR MAX THEA WOMEN's LEATHER RUNNING WHITE - PINK - GREY - BLACK NEW US SZ
- NEW Sam Eldelman RIA Leopard Brahma Calf Fur Bootie Heel shoes size 8.5M
- Adidas x Pharrell Williams NMD Afro Solar HU Green UK 9
- BNIB Hobbs Black Bloomsbury Brogue shoes Size 6 39
- Cotswold Alderton Waterproof Leather Mens Hiking Walking shoes Boots UK7-12
- EMILE CALZATURA women SLIP ON TESSUTO pink - 6344
- ISABEL MARANT PRESCOTT BLACK SUEDE LEATHER BOOTS 38 UK 5 US 7 8
- Matisse Women's Grove Ankle Bootie, gold, 6 M US
- Munro Traveler Loafers - Women's Size 13 N - Black
- Nike Air Jordan 6 Retro Social Status (10)
- Prada, Chelsea-Boots, Leder, black, 39,5, neu 850,-
- Sexy ANKLE BOOT rhinestone heel 20 35-41 SHINY BLACK plateau concise ZIP
- Teva Women's De La Vina Dos 1017145 in Black US Size 6-10 New
- 600 Bally Pryce White Perforated Leather Driver Size US 10 Made in
- Allen Edmonds Park Avenue Black Leather Oxfords shoes Size 10.5 2E EE
- Camper Mens Beetle Fashion Sneaker, Beige, 46 EU 13 M US
- Derrick pink 773 Homme shoes Basketball blue blue
- FRYE Veronica Seam Short Boots shoes Size 5.5 in Black Women's NEW
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Double Header Sneaker - Choose SZ color
- Mens Leather Formal Dress shoes Carve Wingtip Lace Up Oxfords Business Fashion
- NEW LAREDO Women's Keyes 12 Stars & Stripes & Tan Boot 52165 NIB
- Original Miu Miu Size 41 Wedge Sandals Sandals Wedges shoes Sand New Previously
- Sam Edelman Women's Pompei, Burgundy, 7.5 M US
- 12 WMNS 10.5 MENS NIKE AIR ZOOM VOMERO 13 GREY WHITE PLATINUM 942847 003
- Asics Gel-Cumulus 20 Women's shoes Sea Glass Indigo bluee 1012A008-300
- shoes PRADA LUXUEUX 3E5964 ACCIAIO FUXIA NOUVEAUX 37 37,5
- Drew Morgan Women's Size (11.5 US) 9XW UK Therapeutic Diabetic Extra Depth Mesh
- GIORGIO ARMANI shoes Patent Black High Heel Platform Peeptoe Size 39.5 BB 27
- Skechers Men's Matera Cross Training shoes Navy
- VIC MATIÉ SCHUHWERK FRAU SANDALE LEDER+METALL HELLbrown - F593
- Jordan 11 Retro Size 11.5 Legend bluee Yeezy Off White
- Mens Loake Formal Chelsea Boots 290B
- NEW MANAS GENUINE RABBIT FUR LINED BOOTS SIZE 41
- Nike Zoom Train Command LTHR Cross Training Mens shoes NWOB AA3984-006
- Rhinegold Arctic Boots-6.5 40-Brown, UK EU
- Skechers Women's Double Up-Duvet Sneaker - Choose SZ color
- Vans California Native Style 238 - Turquoise True White - Woman Sneakers purple
- Womens NAOT Cymbal 160177 Vintage Bronze Leather Ankle Strap Sandals sz. 36 7 US
- 2019 Nike AF1 Air Force 1 '07 SE Beige Metallic Silver Leather Trainers UK 6 6.5
- BOSS Men's Saturn_Lowp_nyth Low-Top Sneakers bluee (Dark bluee 401) 6 UK
- Dr Martens Women's Chunky Jadon HI Rainbow Patent Platform Boots New UK Size
- JIMMY CHOO Womens Black HALO Shimmer Suede Crystal High-Heel Pump 10.5-40.5
- Neuf Skechers shoes Femme Baskets D´ Lite de Sport Légères à Lacets
- NIKE FREE RN NIKEiD AA1158-991 Black gold Size UK 10 EU 45 US 11 New
- Saucony Ride 10 Lace Up Trainers Purple bluee Yellow Womens Size UK 6.5.
- Vintage Leather Grey Ankle Boots By Bertie - UK8 EUR 42
- Womens Margaritaville Parred Margarita Lime Espadrilles Tropical Slip On shoes
- 1 of 4
- next ›