On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|Product Line:||adidas X|
|Shoe Size:||UK 8||EAN:||Does not apply|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nine West Women's Jackpot Fabric Black Suede 10.5 M US
- ROBERTO FESTA SCHUHWERK FRAU BUCHSE LEDER SCHWARTZ - 8204
- Skechers YOU Exhale Ladies Trainers shoes Womens Footwear
- Vans Ultrarange Rapidweld VN0A3MVUY281 black halfshoes
- Womens Office Kennedy Lace Up shoes Black Suede Flats
- Aquatalia LISETTE Suede Espresso Dark Brown Fringe Boots Sz 9 NIB 695 Rare
- Clarks Triactive Run 261322737 black halfshoes
- Giuseppe Zanotti Mistico Floral Suede Sandals SZ 38.5
- Jimmy Choo 39, Uk6 Silver Vamp shoes, As Seen On
- Men's Work Ankle Boots Establo Bull Fight color Honey
- Nike Air Max 2017 UK 7 EUR 41 BNIB 849560-200
- Reebok Women's Classic Leather Harman Run Sneaker
- THE NORTH FACE Men's M Hedgehog Sandal Ii Hiking 10 (44.5 EU)
- ETRO BLACK CROC, STRAW UPPERS & LIME FOOTBED POINT TOE KITTEN HEELS Sz 38.5 8.5
- Ladies Rieker Flower Detail Wedge Sandals - 62461
- Marco Tozzi 25001 Women's Boots, Ankle Boots, Boots Black New
- █ SEXY NIETEN MEGA 15,5cm KEILABSATZ PLATEAU PLATFORM WEDGES BOOTS STIEFEL 36-41
- B.O.C cook Womens Boots Brown Rust Combo 8.5 US 6.5 UK
- Nike men's Hyper quickness basketball shoes
- Badgley Mischka Women's Hobbs Heeled Sandal, White, Size 8.0 8oQO
- Salomon XA Forces Mid GTX Boot 401381 Lightweight Special Ops Boots GORE-TEX
- Ecco Womens Wine Red Nubuck 'Soft 7' High Top Trainers
- Tieks Pop Pink Patent Size 9 EUC
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 700 Inertia Size 7 Uk (adidas direct)
- Bottine LEMARGO AB16A SKIP ébène
- Danner Men's 53111 Marine Expeditionary 8 GTX Mojave MEB Military shoes Boots
- Frye Womens Danica Chelsea Leather Peep Toe Ankle Chelsea, Dusty pink, Size 6.0
- KIM KARDASHIAN WEST CLEAR PERSPEX THIGH-HIGH BOOTS SZ EU 40 US 9
- Mens Sand Beige Cowboy Leather Overlay Western Lizard Saddle Rodeo Toe Boots
- black Giardini P18us inglesine woman shoes P805030D 707
- Nike Air Max 180 black da men pink pelle Grigia Scarpa da Ginnastica Sport
- PUMA IGNITE LIMITLESS NETFIT TRAINING SNEAKERS MEN SHOES BLACK 189983-01 12 NEW
- shoes Converse Chucks Taylor All Star Lift Ox Size 4.5 Uk Code 563495C -9W
- Vallegreen P19us men's shoes low sneakers 36802 BLACK
- Adidas Originals Rod Laver Mens Trainers Size UK 11
- ASICS Women's Gel-Fuji Endurance Running shoes - Choose SZ color
- 1 of 4
- next ›