On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|US Shoe Size (Women's):||Multiple Variations||Model:||JS-ELEIA|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Skechers for Work Blais-Athol Steel Toe Hiking shoes
- Twisted X Women's Bomber Khaki CellStretch Chukka Driving Moc WXC0002
- Womens Finn Comfort Ikebukuro Sneakers - Atlantic Patagonia Size 9.5US 7UK
- AIR JORDAN 6 RETRO CHAMELON 2017 ITEM NUMBER 5705-3
- Christian Louboutin LILLIAN 120 Black Shiny Nappa strappy pumps 36.5 UK 3 4
- Frye Womens Melissa Button Black Riding Boot 6 B W0109
- Lumberjack P17u man low sneakers SM30105-001 SPIN JEANS
- NEW VERO CUOIO SWAROVSKI Women's Ankle shoes SIZE 38 520 LIST
- POLO RALPH LAUREN Crestwick BO CWT Men's Leather Boots - Black - Size 11 - NEW
- Propet Men's Ridge Walker Low Boot
- STYLISH NEW & SUPER RARE MICHEL PERRY OLIVE SUEDE ANKLE BOOTS (NWOB)
- Sexy DECOLTE' PELLE SCAMOSCIATA tacco 13,5 n. 38 black plateau nascosto GLAMOUR
- Hush Puppies Sandal Ladies Summer Olive Gladiator Zip Up Sandal Dark Brown
- 104837-1589 Pleaser Seduce-218 Peep Toe Pumps Lack black US-7 EUR 37
- Womens sz 6 Cole Haan Black Leather Open-Toe Slide Mule Bootie High Heels NEW
- EMU Australia Paterson Lo Waterproof Sheepskin Leather Boots Size 6M MSRP 229
- Women's Clarks Maypearl Ramie Rounded toe Ankle Boots in Brown
- B Brian Atwood Florencia Naturale Camoscio Designer shoes con Plateau 7.5
- GEORGIA COMFORT CORE LOGGER WATERPROOF WORK BOOTS GB00096 SIZE 12W
- CONVERSE SCHUHE ALL STAR CHUCKS UK 4 EU 36,5 GORILLAZ LIMITED EDITION grey LEAD
- 2014 NEW BALANCE MT580WH 580 WINGS + HORNS YIN YANG BLACK WHITE 12
- Adidas Terrex Brushwood Leather Core Black Core Black Grey Five , shoes
- Black Knee High Leather Boots Designer SEE BY CHLOE Wrap Around Tassles Size 5
- Converse Unisex Chuck Taylor All Star HIGH Street Oxford, White Black White
- Fly London Tram Off white women Cuir Slingback Sandales shoes
- Ivanka Trump, Zapatilla womenes, size 36 EU 5.5US
- Melissa ballerina ultragirl + Minnie III, Ultragirl + Minnie III flat
- NEW Belvedere Cgoldna Genuine Crocodile Lizard Black Red Exotic Sneaker shoes
- NIKE JORDAN SPIZ'IKE OG Sneaker Size 27.5 Limited Edition Mens shoes B48
- Reebok Pump x Mastermind Japan Black Size 9.5 New in Box
- Sneakers Lanvin Men - Fabric (FMSKDKEDFLOC)
- Superb, Vintage FIERAMOSCA & CO Dark Brown Cordovan Loafers 6.5B (37)
- ️ Prada ️ LuXuS High Heels Pumps black Edel TOP ️ Gr. 39,5
- Alfani Men's Chandler Moc-Toe Loafers Grey Leather Size 8 M
- Bugatti Men's 311252022100 Derbys Brown (Cognac 6300 6300) 9 UK
- Crockett and Jones - Newquay - Mid bluee Suede - Size 9E - Superb.
- FRYE Samantha Hiker Boots - Women's Size 9B - Natural
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Bring About Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ color
- Acne Studios Sacha Brushoff balck Platform, IT37
- AV82 FENDI EU 37 shoes brown clair red cuir textile femme ballerines
- Men's Elegant Mocassino size 43 (Mocassino Elegante men)
- NEW CHARLES TYRWHITT DARK BROWN LEATHER DERBY WING BROGUE TIP SHOE, UK 9
- Nuevo Nike Jordan Reveal Prem Premium Deportiva para Hombre
- Salomon Mens Sense Ride bluee Hiking shoes Size 10
- Stacy Adams Mens Red Galindo Leather Crocodile Pattern Dress Casual SlipOn shoes
- Women’s Pajar Brown Knit Winter Boots Size USA 7-7.5 EUR 38
- Clarks Laina Rae leather court shoe
- Eastland Mens Eastport Boat shoes- Choose SZ color.
- GUESS Bottines boots santiags cuir daim beige brown 36 TRES BON ETAT
- L'Amour Des Pieds Adelais Women's 7 Suede Black Platform Wedge Sandal Peep Toe
- Naturalizer Women's Flora Heeled Sandal
- Nike Air Jordan Super.Fly 3 White 41 42 43 44 45 Neu 743665 109 retro superfly
- Pleaser MOON-708GFT Exotic Dancing Tinted Cut-Out Platform Ankle Strap Sandal
- SAUCONY MENS OMNI 16 GREY NAVY orange RUNNING EE SHOES 2018 ALL BEST SELLER
- shoes Fila Distruptor Cb Low Codice 1010575-01M - 9M
- 1 of 4
- next ›