On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Ted Baker Women's Immep Ballet Flats. Floral, Oriental Blossom Print. Size 5
- Womens Leather Slip On Pumps Low Top Bridesmaid Pointed Toe Bowknot Decor shoes
- Gentle Souls Womens Ottie Flat Sandal- Pick SZ color.
- 82934 Décolleté Made in Italia GRETA women black 82934
- Reebok - Rapide MU Skull Grey White Navy Sneaker Sportschuhe
- Rush by Gordon Men's Britton Chelsea Boot, - Choose SZ color
- Florsheim Men's Medfield Plain Toe Zip Boot Fashion - Choose SZ color
- Dan Post Brown Leather Boho Ankle PointedToe Cowgirl Ankle Boots Size 7
- I3526 VICINI BLACK PUMPS SLIP 7.5 37.5
- Loeffler Randall Women's Elayna Ankle Tie High Heel Sandal (Leather Rhinestones)
- 100% Authentic , Deadstock , Men's Uk8, Adidas Kanye West Frozen Yellow Yeezys
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2 True Form (UK 7.5 US 8)
- BORDELLO By Pleaser - Teeze-06 Closed Toe Court shoes With Hidden Platform
- Converse Chuck 70 OX black black egret EU 46, Männer, black, C162058
- Filippo Black Black Jodhpur boots
- Jordan 4 cactus jack 10.5
- LUXUS LEDER LANG OVERKNEE STIEFEL 1969 ITALY B157 LEATHER HIGH HEELS BOOTS 37
- NEW 1733 SALVATORE FERRAGAMO Ronnie Knee High Boots - Burgundy - Size 7 1 2
- NIKE AIR MAX 95 SE WHEAT PACK AJ2018 700 MEN'S TRAINERS SIZE UK 13 EU 47.5
- Puma Vikky Platform Rg 365965 01 womens black sneakers casual shoes Soft Foam
- shoes PRADA LUSSO 4E3230 black NUOVE 9,5 43,5 44
- Tony Lama Men's RARE VTG Ostrich Exotic Skin Wingtip Western Boots Bone 10.5 D
- ADIDAS Black & Grey Textile Round Toe Lace Up Ultra Boost Trainers UK8.5 EU42.5
- Aquazzura slippers sandals in Fuchsia Suede leather Size UK 3.5 - IT 36
- Chaco Men's Z2 classic Metal
- Creative Recreation Castellano HI Sneaker shoes Men WHITE size 12 new
- Frye Ladies Leather Boots - Brand New - 15 R - Black
- KEEN Utility Men's PTC Slip-On II Black
- Mens John Varvatos Black Suede Leather Loafers shoes Size 10
- New JCrew Lena Suede Pumps Satin Cap Toe 258 8 heel f5588 dark cognac
- Olukai Nohona Ulana Black Black Comfort Flip Flop Sandal Men's sizes 8-15 NEW
- 1809 adidas ORIGINALS YUNG-96 Men's Training Running shoes F97176
- ASICS Gel-Lyte Mens White Mustard Trainers Sport Casual Lace Up Running shoes
- shoes SAUCONY Homme black BEIGE en daim,Tissu S2108-637
- Dries Van Noten Knee-High Boots Dark Brown Leather Size 37.5 Platform Heel
- REEBOK ZAPATILLA MODA HOMBRE REALFLEX TRANSITION 2.0
- Skechers Performance Men's Go Torch Basketball shoes
- Vince Camuto Pardonal Over The Knee Boots, Black, 4.5 UK
- Free Bird By Steven Women's Lion Ankle Bootie Sz 9 Grey
- Josef Seibel Maren Ladies Winter shoes Boots 84601pl904 650 Grey New
- Men's Original Michel Genuine Cowhide Nappa Leather Pull On Ankle Work Boots
- NEW Mens US Size 9 DR MARTENS Ordell Brown Leather Oxford shoes uk 8
- Nine West Women's Frolic Black Multi F Pump
- ROBERT CLERGERIE Women's Black Slip SoCk Bootie shoes Size 37 New W o Tags
- Skechers Women's You Define-Allegra Slip On Trainers bluee (Navy Nvy)
- Vans Sneakers Unisex Old Skool 36 DX (Anaheim Factory) Black Checker
- Vionic Women's Joy Jolene Ankle Boot - Ladies Booties with Concealed Orthotic US
- Adidas Consortium x Neighborhood x Invincible NMD R1 Boost UK Size 7 Trainer
- BS439 MOMA shoes silver leather women ankle boots slip-on or pull-on autu
- Easy Street Purpose Slip-On Flats, Brown Patent Croc, 8 UK
- KAYO NAKAMURA by Y's Shark Sole Sandal Size 6(About US 9)(K-64473)
- New Balance M 991CFN 991 CFN men's shoes, green color made in England
- Nike React Runner Mid WR ISPA Black White AT3143-001 Mens Running shoes Sneakers
- shoes SAUCONY JAZZ ORIGINAL TG 36 COD S1044-463 - 9W
- Women Black Christian Louboutin High Heels Size 9
- 1 of 4
- next ›