On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Ted Baker Women's Immep Ballet Flats. Floral, Oriental Blossom Print. Size 5
- Womens Leather Slip On Pumps Low Top Bridesmaid Pointed Toe Bowknot Decor shoes
- Gentle Souls Womens Ottie Flat Sandal- Pick SZ color.
- 82934 Décolleté Made in Italia GRETA women black 82934
- Reebok - Rapide MU Skull Grey White Navy Sneaker Sportschuhe
- Rush by Gordon Men's Britton Chelsea Boot, - Choose SZ color
- Florsheim Men's Medfield Plain Toe Zip Boot Fashion - Choose SZ color
- Dan Post Brown Leather Boho Ankle PointedToe Cowgirl Ankle Boots Size 7
- I3526 VICINI BLACK PUMPS SLIP 7.5 37.5
- Loeffler Randall Women's Elayna Ankle Tie High Heel Sandal (Leather Rhinestones)
- 39 Aperlaï Paris Leather Snakeskin Thigh High Over The Knee Boots Rare, Hot
- Adidas gazelle indoor mrn 8-10.5 uk uk marine vintage indigo spzl consortium
- Badgley Mischka Women's Shelly Wedge Sandal
- Clarks Women's Everlay Elma Black Leather Comfort shoes 26113366
- Ermenegildo Zegna Dark Grey Suede Desert Boot 10.5(44.5)BNWB Selling
- J CREW COLLECTION PIPED LOAFER MULES CALF HAIR CHOCOLATE SEPIA 9.5 H8222 158
- MANOLO BLAHNIK Hanzoutall 105 Black Leather Tall Boots shoes NEW IN BOX 1595 39
- New Balance Mannelijk X-90 Suede-sneakers, Zwart
- Nike Air Zoom Fearless FK Bionic Chrome bluesh 904643-600 UK 3.5 EU 36.5 US 6 New
- Red Wing 3139 Classic men Dark Red Pelle Stivali Chukka - 11 UK
- Saucony Women's Jazz Original Sneaker - Choose SZ color
- TDB Leather Women shoes W Bow & Encrusted Metal Studs, Size 7, color Coffee
- 2Star P18u shoes woman low sneakers 2SD 1868 grey SCURO
- Allen Edmonds Leeds Dress Plain Toe bluecher shoes Black Size 12 3A EX NARROW 176
- CALZATURA men FRANCESINA LO.WHITE PELLE brown - 257A
- Daniele Alessandrini shoes Sneaker ITALY Leather Man White F7199KL4923705 2
- G.H. BASS TAHOE MEN'S SLIP ON SLIPPERS, CHOCOLATE, 0419-1093-211
- KENZO Logo White Leather Sandals UK6 39 New
- Men's MEPHISTO 'Baduard' Brown Leather Nubuck Loafers Size US 10 EUR 9.5
- NEW Mens CLARKS TRIGENIC DUNE NAVY BOOTS TRAINERS - UK size 6.5G
- P-707999 New Tods Ferrari Red Suede Gommini Drivers Loafers shoes US 6 Marked 5
- ADIDAS CITY CUP SHOES WHITE WHITE gold FREE POSTAGE AUSTRALIAN SELLER
- BADGLEY MISCHKA Womens Caitlin Peep Toe D-orsay Pumps, Light Pink, Size 9.0 BSpH
- Clarks Women's Neenah Garden Cap Toe Ballet Flat Nude Nubuck Patent Leather
- El Charro Men Vintage Leather Boots Rounded toe 2748 Brown
- S-1564169 New Brioni Black Leather Fabric Sneaker shoes Size US 10 Marked 9
- Stacy Adams Mens Gianluca Leather Lace Up Casual Oxfords
- Women Lace up Motorcycle Boots Round Toe Suede Leather Wedge Heel Casual shoes
- GEOX - ESCARPINS FLORALIE - POINTURE 40 - ENVOI FRANCE GRATUIT
- La Canadienne Women's Ilenna Boot,Black,11 M US
- 1906 P19g schuhe frau niedrige turnschuhe D1GA190851 MIZUNO GV87
- NIB Kendall And Kylie Women's Tasha Platform Wedge Slip-On Sneakers Black NEW 7
- Patricia Green Women's brown suede tie booties sz. 37
- Salvatore Ferragamo Women's Size 9B Cream Leather Wedge Dressy Sandals Open Toe
- Stars und Stripes Westernstiefel WB - 26 Größe 41
- Women Patent Leather Stiletto Thigh High Combat Boots Platform Sexy Nightclub
- WOLVERINE 1000 MILE KILOMETER WOMEN'S BOOT W40075 MADE IN USA 9 B 360
- ADIDAS PERFORMANCE MEN'S ENERGY BOOST 3 M RUNNING SHOES,GREY blueE,US SIZE 8.5 M
- CATERPILLAR CAT Safety 6 Work Boots Honey Black Brown Leather Steel Toe 6-13 UK
- Fashion Womens Platform Wedge Super High Heels Zip Pointy Toes Nightclub shoes
- Ladies Casual Ankle Boot Remonte D4176 - 01 Black EU Size 36, 37, 40, 42
- New Free People Ranger Ankle Buckle Boot in Black Suede MSRP 198 Size 38
- Northside Mens Snohomish Leather Waterproof Mid Hiking Boot
- SHOES NEW BALANCE M990 NV4 NAVY-8
- Stella Luna Woman’s Valentines Day Night Out Sandals
- 1 of 4
- next ›