On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|Upper Material:||Leather||Main Colour:||Tan|
|MPN:||Does not apply|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Ted Baker Women's Immep Ballet Flats. Floral, Oriental Blossom Print. Size 5
- Womens Leather Slip On Pumps Low Top Bridesmaid Pointed Toe Bowknot Decor shoes
- Gentle Souls Womens Ottie Flat Sandal- Pick SZ color.
- 82934 Décolleté Made in Italia GRETA women black 82934
- Reebok - Rapide MU Skull Grey White Navy Sneaker Sportschuhe
- Rush by Gordon Men's Britton Chelsea Boot, - Choose SZ color
- Florsheim Men's Medfield Plain Toe Zip Boot Fashion - Choose SZ color
- Dan Post Brown Leather Boho Ankle PointedToe Cowgirl Ankle Boots Size 7
- I3526 VICINI BLACK PUMPS SLIP 7.5 37.5
- Loeffler Randall Women's Elayna Ankle Tie High Heel Sandal (Leather Rhinestones)
- 2013 NIKE AIR JORDAN XI 11 RETRO BLACK GAMMA blueE CONCORD SPACE JAM 378037-006
- Adidas Samba OG White & Green B75680 Zapatillas
- Belvedere Exotic Mens Boot Logan Genuine Alligator & Calfskin Chocolate CB-02
- Clarks Stinson HI Men's shoes Loden Green 26122822
- Emma Hope's shoes New With Box Slim Lady Sneaker
- Isabel Marant Women's shoes Closed - BO010400M104S Black Spring Summer 19
- Lucky Brand Women's Ratann Riding Boot Black Suede Knee High Stacked Heel (6.5)
- NEW Arche Drick' Flat - Tan -Size 6 US 37EU 298 (P36)
- Nike Air Max 90 NS GPX Men's shoes Size 10.5 color Black Bright Crimson
- Puma Pacer Next Cage St2 Dusty Coral , Sneakers Puma , fashion , Women´s shoes
- shoes Embassy men brown leather shoes 42 EU Never worn brand new In the Box
- Valentino Garavani Boots Star Embellished Black Leather Size 39 1 2 NEW
- Adidas Originals Los Angeles Mens Trainers Sneakers BB1128 shoes
- Asics Shaw Runner Shaded Spruce Shaded Spruce D4P1L 8080 Men's
- Cheaney 'Broad' Black Brogues Leather Men's shoes UK 6.5 F
- Daniele Alessandrini shoes MADE IN ITALY Leather Man bluee F347K1603500 23
- G H Bass & Co Ranger Mens Brown Deck Boat shoes NEW
- Kenneth Cole Unlisted Men's Hope Lake Slip-on Loafer - Choose SZ color
- Men's Marvin&Co Newnight Low rise Lace-up shoes in Brown
- New Mens BOSS Brown Cardiff_derb_it Leather shoes Lace Up
- P448 White Leather E8 John Sneakers Size 40 9.5
- 2019 New Fashion Womens Pumps High Heels Stilettos shoes Evening Party 6 colors
- Asics running shoes gel kayano trainer burgundy size 11 new with box
- Clarks Womens Un Hearth Flat 7 M- Choose SZ color.
- Durbuy shoes 714717 Brown 36
- Rieker Women's 99194 Chelsea Boots
- Sneaker Premised Mase 3555 en green et grey pour homme Premiata MASE3555
- Vintage Mens Suede Leather Formal Business Slip On Pieced Loafers Dress shoes
- Gabor women shoes Basses Pantoufles Schlupfschuhe 91.460.17 black Neuf
- Kenneth Cole New York Women's Kiera Sneaker gold Leather Sneakers
- Merrell Men's Moab Edge Hiking shoes - Choose SZ color
- New Womens Gladiator Hollow out slingbacks sandals over knee high shoes flats
- Onitsuka Tiger Womens 7.5M Slip On Sneaker in Mauve Wood NIB
- Ryka Women's Influence 2.5 Training Sneaker Grey Mesh Fitness shoes
- Sperry Men's A O 2-Eye Perfed Boat shoes
- White Women High Heel Stiletto Leather Dance SuperLong Over Knee Thigh High Boot
- Women Buckle Rhinestones Stylish Fur Sandal Roman Kitten Heel Pointy Toe shoes
- ADIDAS SUPERSTAR METAL W BY2882 DAMEN KINDER TURNSCHUHE white COPPER METALLIC
- CHARLOTTE OLYMPIA DOLLY BLACK PLATFORM PUMPS SIZE 37.5 NEW WITH BOX
- women Skechers shoes Athlétiques color brown Burgundy size 42 EU 11
- Ladies Rieker 464H0 pink Pink Leather Casual shoes
- New Keen Concord B1018024 Grey Black Sz. 8.5D Work Boot. Made In USA b11
- NWT Men's Nike Air Ring Leader Low Sneakers shoes Choose Size Dark Grey Black
- Skechers BOBS from Luxe Bobs - Dazzlin shoes - Choose SZ color
- Steve Madden Women's Estela-R Loafer Flat, Rhinestone, Size 7.0
- 1 of 4
- next ›