On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New without box: A brand-new, unused and unworn item that is not in its original retail packaging or may be missing ... Read moreabout the condition
|Shoe Size:||UK 9|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Ted Baker Women's Immep Ballet Flats. Floral, Oriental Blossom Print. Size 5
- Womens Leather Slip On Pumps Low Top Bridesmaid Pointed Toe Bowknot Decor shoes
- Gentle Souls Womens Ottie Flat Sandal- Pick SZ color.
- 82934 Décolleté Made in Italia GRETA women black 82934
- Reebok - Rapide MU Skull Grey White Navy Sneaker Sportschuhe
- Rush by Gordon Men's Britton Chelsea Boot, - Choose SZ color
- Florsheim Men's Medfield Plain Toe Zip Boot Fashion - Choose SZ color
- Dan Post Brown Leather Boho Ankle PointedToe Cowgirl Ankle Boots Size 7
- I3526 VICINI BLACK PUMPS SLIP 7.5 37.5
- Loeffler Randall Women's Elayna Ankle Tie High Heel Sandal (Leather Rhinestones)
- AUTHENTIC TODS SUEDE STRAP SANDALS YELLOW GRADE AB USED - AT
- Adidas yeezy boost 350 v2 Static Non-reflective. UK 12 US 12.5 Brand new
- Botines y abotinados - Pedro Miralles Hielo women PIEL 29535-pedro Miralles 623
- Columbia Bahama Vent Casual Sneakers Canvas Slip On Boat shoes NEW
- women Rialto Chung Bottes color green Army Suedette size 36 EU 5.5 US
- Jimmy Choo Tan & Black Print Open Toe Mule Pumps Size 8.5
- Made in Italia Platform Pumps multi color green Suede Size 40 us 10 new
- New Asics Tiger GEL-Sight Women's Denim Latte Cream shoes Size 10 H7B5N-0500
- Nike Air Max Plus Tn Galaxy Print Rainbow White Multicolor Mens Size 10 Rare
- RAG BONE LIAM BLACK LEATHER PEEP TOE ANKLE BOOTS, SIZE 39
- SAUCONY JAZZ ORIGINAL Grey Red bluee-43
- Tamaris Stiefel Bada 1-1-25556-27-001 black
- 2016 Nike Air Jordan 12 Flu Game Black and Red size 5y
- Allen Edmonds Auburn Men's Black Leather Wingtip Oxford Derby Dress shoes 9.5D
- CALLAGHAN 14101 SNEAKERS BASSE men ESTIVE NUBUCK grey COMODA ADAPTACTION
- Cole Haan Women's Anica Slip Slide Sandal - Choose SZ color
- Florsheim Brown Leather Mens Penny Loafers Size 13 D Only Worn Once
- JOH N LOBB loafers BRW leather shoes (K23696
- MENS CAMPER PEU CAMI KENIA NUBUCK LEATHER FLAT CASUAL SHOES SIZE
- New Balance Men's Impulse V1 FuelCell Running shoes, Dark Grey, 10 D US
- NIKE WOMEN AIR MAX PLUS SLIP SP NEW NAVY SILVER US WMNS 8.5
- 1810 adidas LITE RACER ADAPT Men's Training Running shoes B44767
- Asics Gellyte V Mesh Pack H833L9600 beige halfshoes
- shoes STONEFLY Homme brown Cuir naturel 210255-410S
- Dromedaris Women's Kara Boot Cognac Leather Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)
- Reebok Zoku Runner Ultraknit Is (COLLEGIATE ROYAL AWESOME) Men's shoes BD4180
- Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk Impress Memory Foam Slip-On Walking shoes
- Vince Camuto VC-CHANTINA Womens Chantina Ankle Bootie- Choose SZ color.
- Free People Jeffrey Campbell Stella Slouch Boot Size 8 MSRP 228
- Josef Seibel Women’'s Fiona 47 Ankle Strap Sandals (blue) 6 UK
- Mens PUMA X Paul Stanley Suede Sneaker Black White Stripe Zebra Size US 9.5
- New Mustang Ladies' shoes Canvas shoes Slip on shoes Casual Sneaker shoes
- Nine West Women's Lecia Heeled Sandal, Dark Pewter, Size 8.0 US 6 UK
- Rockfish Neoprene Lined Walkabout Womens Green Synthetic Wellington Boots
- Sky-308mg Pleaser High Heels Sandaletten black clear silver Miniglitter 35-45
- Vans Vault OG Sk8-Hi LX in Deep Taupe-Dark Ivy size 8.5 DS supreme fog
- Woman by Common Projects Leather Slip On Sneakers SZ 40
- Adidas SL22 FS II Mens Adult Cricket Trainer Spike shoes White bluee
- Cesare Paciotti Amazing Evening Jeweled Suede Pumps EU 41 Italian Designer shoes
- women JBU Lorna Bottes color blue Navy size 37.5 EU 6.5 US
- Ladies Irregular Choice Mini Mcnutty Faux Fur Tail Work Ballet shoes All Sizes
- New In Box SOLUDOS White Hi Hey Embroidered Platform Espadrille shoes Size 7
- NWOB Brunello Cucinelli Women's Glossy Python Leather Lace-Up Pumps 37 7US A191
- SIZE 10 MEN'S Nike Tiempo Legend VI Soccer Cleats 844397 003 Grey Green SILVER
- Steve Madden Men's Instinct Ankle Boot - Choose SZ color
- 1 of 4
- next ›