On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Ted Baker Women's Immep Ballet Flats. Floral, Oriental Blossom Print. Size 5
- Womens Leather Slip On Pumps Low Top Bridesmaid Pointed Toe Bowknot Decor shoes
- Gentle Souls Womens Ottie Flat Sandal- Pick SZ color.
- 82934 Décolleté Made in Italia GRETA women black 82934
- Reebok - Rapide MU Skull Grey White Navy Sneaker Sportschuhe
- Rush by Gordon Men's Britton Chelsea Boot, - Choose SZ color
- Florsheim Men's Medfield Plain Toe Zip Boot Fashion - Choose SZ color
- Dan Post Brown Leather Boho Ankle PointedToe Cowgirl Ankle Boots Size 7
- I3526 VICINI BLACK PUMPS SLIP 7.5 37.5
- Loeffler Randall Women's Elayna Ankle Tie High Heel Sandal (Leather Rhinestones)
- 9972-33029 V 1969 Italia Womens Sandal Bronzo 38 IT - 8 US
- Adidas Originals NMD R1 PK Sesame Branch Core Black AQ0929 Men
- Bates Women's Usmc Lightweight Durashocks Military and Tactical Boot
- Cole Haan Mens Ripley Cognac Ankle Boots Size 10
- women Bella Vita Sandales À Talon color brown almond suede size 40 EU 9
- Jessica Simpson Women's PLEMY Heeled Sandal, Emerald Multi Green Multi Pumps
- Melluso women R35723 black Mocassini AUTUNNO INVERNO 18_19 Camoscio
- New Born Black Leather Knee High Buckle Rimes Buckled Boots 7.5 D09203 210 M W
- Nike KD 8 “Hunt’s Hill Sunrise” TOTAL orange SZ 9.5 NEW RARE AUTHENTIC
- Reebok Run R 96 Mens Black Mesh Athletic Lace Up Training shoes
- shoes PRADA LUSSO 4E2854 ASFALTO NUOVE 8,5 42,5 43
- Toe Warmers Womens Michelle Square Toe Mid-Calf Cold, Dark Brown, Size 7.5
- Adidas American Superstars UK 7.5
- Aquatalia Men's Zayn Suede Loafer Waterproof Slip on, US 10M Taupe
- CESARE PACIOTTI US 7.5 LIGHT SPORTY OXFORDS ITALIAN LEATHER MENS SHOES
- DAVINCI MEN'S SLIP ON SHOES SC1030 BEIGE AND BLACK
- GB35 Revaa Wide Calf Knee High Boots 922, Black, 7.5 US
- Kunsto Homme shoes Richelieu Cuir Habillées Us size 13 Ans brown
- MENS NIKE AIR MAX 1 BLACK, GREY AND RED TRAINERS (UK 12)
- New Mens Reebok ROYAL DASHONIC GREY WHITE DV5121 US 7 - 10 TAKSE
- Pantofola d'Ora Imola men Low Brown Mens Leather Trainers
- 99.99 100 Styles and Running Chase (burnt olive) CHOLV08
- AS9 New Womens Designer Inspired Fashion Peep Toe High Heel Beaded shoes
- shoes ADIDAS Homme grey CQ2807
- Dr Martens Women’s White shoes Size 5 BNWB
- Reebok Classic Furylite Chukka Mens Sneaker Red V70065 UK 10 EU 44.5 JS54 17
- SIGERSON MORRISON Suede Studded Boots (SIZE 7)
- Vans x Highsnobiety F&F Leather Old Skool Sand Sneakers Size 8.5 RARE 1 of 100
- Giorgio Armani Ballerina en Punta Manoletinas Planas, Vino, 9 Us 39 Ue
- LADIES CLARKS CredVER TOE POST BUCKLE STRAP LEATHER SUMMER SANDALS TRI ARIANA
- MORI MADE ITALY ANKLE BOOTS STIEFEL STIVALI SHOES KROCO LEATHER BLACK black 39
- NIKE AF1 ULTRA FLYKNIT MID MENS TRAINERS UK 8.5 EU 43 AIR FORCE 1 BOOT 817420301
- Philippe Model Women's low top trainers shoes in white leather Size UK 3 - IT 36
- Sandali Cafèblack HF925 in rafia con ricamo su zeppa corda
- Steve Madden URSULA Womens Ursula Dress Sandal- Choose SZ color.
- Women's Be Natural 25324 Beige (Taupe) Ankle Boots Size UK 5 EU 38
- Women casual Black and Red Prada shoes size 36 1 2 or US 6 1 2
- Adidas Superstar PW STAN SMITH SLD SOLID blueE RIBBON WHITE BLACK B25386 DS 10.5
- Charlotte Olympia Dolly Sand Canvas UK 6.5 EU 39.5 US 9.5
- women St. John's Bay Ballerines color brown Cognac size 41.5 EU 10 US
- Ladies Rieker 537T1 Grey Synthetic Casual Slip On shoes
- NEW KEEN NEWPORT LEATHER MEN'S SANDALS WATERPROOF LEATHER WALKING BISON US 11
- NWT Pajar Cade Womens Waterproof Insulated Winter Boots 5 5.5 Black MSRP 175
- Skechers Bobs Sport Squad Leg Up Womens Sneakers
- Steve Madden Womens Gabriana Taupe Sock Boot shoes 9 Medium (B,M) BHFO 9614
- 1 of 4
- next ›