On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Shoe Style:||Running Shoes||Main Colour:||Blue|
|Fastening:||Lace Up||Upper Material:||Textile / Mesh / Synthetic|
|Exact Colour:||Blue / Silver / White|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Low Varsity Red Cherry White Black SZ 10.5 (528895-102)
- Rieker 41358 bluee Leather Casual Mary Jane Bar shoes With Cut Out Details
- Tony Lama Men’s 3R Work Boots Waterproof Round Toe Steel Toe RR3210
- Stivaletti women al Polpaccio Tacco 12 Plateau 7 black Pleaser CAMEL-250
- Skechers Men's Go Run Vortex-54841 Sneaker
- New Balance 701 Wl701pk Ladies Winter Boots Padded Leather shoes Wl701
- ALIFE EVERYBODY MID PRO LEATHER SNEAKER WOMEN SHOES GREEN S91EVHMP SIZE 5.5 NEW
- Nanette Lepore Beverly Ankle Boots, Black, 6 UK
- bluendstone Boots 515 El Side Boot bluee Black Black
- High Heels Pumps blue Metallic Lackleder 10 - 12 cm Absatz Größe EUR 36 - 47
- 201.172780.01 DIADORA N9000 H 201.172780.01 blue white red Slip on sneakers Herr
- ECCO Men's Soft 7 Trainers Black (Black 2001) 10 UK
- 202000 Kimberfeel Sissi Snow Boots gefüttert brown EUR 41
- Adidas UltraBoost Parley Running Sneakers CG3673 UK Size 5 - Brand New
- BN DANNER light II 33000 brown boots lace up vibram hiking nubuck leather 5 M
- Cole Haan Hayes Gore Ankle Bootie - Women's Size 9B - Dark Chocolate
- Fashion Womens Pineapple Block Rubber Heels Genuine Leather Buckle Sandals shoes
- Jeffrey Campell embellished black suede heels, size 8
- Men 9.5Us Nike Foamposite One Form Submit Copper
- New Balance shoes M576 CDW UK7.5 - Eur 41.5 The lake District pack - 991- 577
- NIKE DUNK HIGH PREMIUM MEN'S RED MAHOGANY - WHITE NEW IN BOX AUTHENTIC SELECT SZ
- Redback UBOK Non Safety Work Boots. Elastic Sided Bobcat Leather with FREE SOCKS
- Skechers Zinger Zapatillas Deportivas para women 960 Bkgd Negras Nueva
- Vintage Men's SNO-GO Insulated Side Zip Nylon Uppers Steel Shank Boots-Size 12
- AB462 MBT schuhe brown nabuk herren slip on EU 40
- Amblers Safety AS1000CW DANUBE Unisex Mens Womens S5 Safety Waders Black Red
- Carrucci Mens Tan Slip On Apron Toe Loafer Leather Dress shoes
- Dickies Mens Gironde Safety Trainers Grey Size 8
- GINO ROSSI Lilia DKH162S58RC007800F burgundy
- Ladies Pointed Toe Pull On Stiletto Heel Sexy Clubwear Credver Strap shoes Sz
- Adidas Genuine Yeezy 700 Geode Brown Mens Trainers EG6860 UK 6.5 US 7 Eu 40
- Mens Genuine Leather Pointy Toe Ankle Boots High Heel Chunky Chelsea shoes Party
- New Donald J pliner Leather hairclaf cowgirl Boot Size 6
- NWOB Women's Lucky Brand Yameena Bootie Sesame Suede in Tan-Brown, Sz 10
- Salvatore Ferragamo Cancun 2 Mens bluee Loafers shoes 9 E US Made in
- Stacy Adams STACY ADAMS Mens Oxford Black 8.5 W US
- Women's Clarks Enfield Kayla Zip-up Ankle Boots in Beige
- Ariat Mens MasterGrip Western Work Boots Waterproof Leather Safety Toe Brown
- Caterpillar Stats Mens Boots Black
- women Piu 1003 Black Leather Knee-High Zip-Up Round-Toe Boots 37 US 7
- GB35 Raiven Knee High Buckle Boots 383, Brown, 4 UK
- Kickers Size 8.5 M U Find Dark Red Leather Wedges New Womens shoes
- Merrell Womens Terran Ari Lattice shoes Sandals Black Sports Outdoors
- NEWROCK NR M.7934 S20 Red - New Rock Boots - Mens
- Ovye AM381 sneaker lacci pelle bianco crosta black red
- 1 of 4
- next ›