On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Low Varsity Red Cherry White Black SZ 10.5 (528895-102)
- Rieker 41358 bluee Leather Casual Mary Jane Bar shoes With Cut Out Details
- Tony Lama Men’s 3R Work Boots Waterproof Round Toe Steel Toe RR3210
- Stivaletti women al Polpaccio Tacco 12 Plateau 7 black Pleaser CAMEL-250
- Skechers Men's Go Run Vortex-54841 Sneaker
- New Balance 701 Wl701pk Ladies Winter Boots Padded Leather shoes Wl701
- ALIFE EVERYBODY MID PRO LEATHER SNEAKER WOMEN SHOES GREEN S91EVHMP SIZE 5.5 NEW
- Nanette Lepore Beverly Ankle Boots, Black, 6 UK
- bluendstone Boots 515 El Side Boot bluee Black Black
- Stuart Weitzman Tweedfour pelle Beige Designer Sandali Zeppe 7.0
- Baffin Men's Tundra Winter Boot Black 13 M US
- KENNEL&SCHMENGER 51.15820.659 Suede elefant So.white
- Abeo Women' Faith Boots Mid Calf Brown Size US 8.5 ( 1834 )
- Adidas YEEZY Boost 350 V2 Oreo UK 10 100% Authentic Sneaker
- Boston Proper Studded Caged Sandals Size 8 Brand New in Box
- Converse All Star Chuck Taylor , Chucks , Leder , Versch. Farben, HI, Herr Dame
- FILA 1RM00128 mindblower Calzature men Sport Running
- Joie I Will Survivre Caviar Cuir Créateur Lacet Bottines 8.5 Eu 38.5
- Men's Asics Gel-Cumulus 19 Neutral Cushioning Running Trainers
- Muck Boots Company Kid's HALE, BLACK HOT PINK, Neoprene Rubber Waterproof
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 3LAB5 Size 44,5 (10,5US)
- Prada Sandal Black Canvas Leather-Trim Size 38 Open Toe Slide High Heel Mule
- Sensational BALLY (Paris) Black Alligator Patent Leather Loafers 7C
- Trussardi shoes Women Sneakers Grey 97992 BDT ORIGINAL
- 2018 Onemix Men's Original Sport Running shoes Casual Trainers Outdoor Sneakers
- Allen Edmonds Cameron Mens Brown Penny Loafers 9D
- CALTO J93012 - 2.4 Inches Elevator Height Increasing Boat Loafer Dark bluee
- DB SHOES FORMAL WIDE FIT SLIP ON LEATHER SHOES FULHAM, (EE - FIT) WIDE FIT
- GCDS BAUMWOLLE ESPANDRILLOS ESPADRILLES HERREN NEU GUYANA green C12
- Kurt Geiger ankle high red leather high heeled boots size 38
- Adidas G28939 Rising Star X R1 Casual shoes white sneakers
- Mens Gents Soft Thick Real Sheepskin Boot Slipper Boot Hard Sole Chestnut
- NEW Converse WONDER WOMAN All Star Chuck Taylor DC Comics shoes ctas 146781C
- NWOB Converse All Star White Canvas Ankle Sneakers New Size Men 9 Women 11
- Salvatore Ferragamo Borges Bit Loafer Men's Size 11 B
- Stacy Adams Reeve Mens Oxford- Choose SZ color.
- Women's Brown Heritage Saddle Leather FRYE Campus 77050 Biker Riding Boots 8 M
- ARIAT Heritage Calhoun - Choose SZ color
- Caterpillar Men's Argon Comp Toe Lace-Up Work Boot - Choose SZ color
- Donald J. Pliner Mens Zaira Brown Casual Boots shoes 8 Medium (D) BHFO 3342
- Gang-Gang Cockatoo White Running shoes For Women-Free Shipping
- Kenneth Cole Women's Flash Ballet Flats in Black
- Merrell Womens Encore Boot Q2 Mid-Calf Winter Snow Fashion Boots shoes
- NEW NIB Old Gringo Cassidy Boots 7 retail 598 tall 13 turquoise cowboy pull on
- Otbt shoes Women's Brookfield Wedge Sandal - Blackscale - 9
- 1 of 4
- next ›