On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
|Condition:||New without box : |
A brand-new, unused and unworn item that is not in its original retail packaging or may be missing its original retail packaging materials (such as the original box or bag). The original tags may not be attached. For example, new shoes (with absolutely no signs of wear) that are no longer in their original box fall into this category.See all condition definitions– opens in a new window or tab
|Seller notes:||“Slight scratches in right shoe. Images shown are of the actual shoes for sale.”|
|Brand:||Donald J Pliner||Heel Type:||Slim|
|Width:||Medium (B, M)||US Shoe Size (Women's):||US 9|
|Heel Height:||High (3 to 4 1/4)||Shade:||Navy|
|UPC:||Does not apply|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Low Varsity Red Cherry White Black SZ 10.5 (528895-102)
- Rieker 41358 bluee Leather Casual Mary Jane Bar shoes With Cut Out Details
- Tony Lama Men’s 3R Work Boots Waterproof Round Toe Steel Toe RR3210
- Stivaletti women al Polpaccio Tacco 12 Plateau 7 black Pleaser CAMEL-250
- Skechers Men's Go Run Vortex-54841 Sneaker
- New Balance 701 Wl701pk Ladies Winter Boots Padded Leather shoes Wl701
- ALIFE EVERYBODY MID PRO LEATHER SNEAKER WOMEN SHOES GREEN S91EVHMP SIZE 5.5 NEW
- Nanette Lepore Beverly Ankle Boots, Black, 6 UK
- bluendstone Boots 515 El Side Boot bluee Black Black
- NEW Rebecca Minkoff Barb US 7 Pink Brown Leather Gladiator Strap Sandals shoes
- Steve Madden Men's Troopah Lace-Up Boot - Choose SZ color
- MOERÒ CALZATURA women DECOLLETE CAMOSCIO blue - 928D
- 2009 Nike Air Jordan XII 12 Retro RISING SUN RED BLACK BRED 130690-163 Size 10
- ADIDAS SUPERSTAR 80's RITA ORA WEDGE DRAGON BOOT TRAINERS SIZE 7 UK RARE EDITION
- Bikerstiefel Motorradstiefel Chopper Cruiser Biker Leder Black Sancho 995 541 41
- COLE HAAN Williams WNG Chukka II Black Boots Mens 8.5 M C12673
- women Franco Sarto Bottes color brown Dark Burgundy size 38 EU 7 US
- Jimmy Choo Black Amore Boots size 37
- Men Formal party Tassel Velvet Formal Business moccasins Pull On Loafers shoes 18
- New Balance WL410BU Silver Mink with Black
- Nike EXP-X14 Women Sneakers Wolf Grey purple Emerald Lifestyle shoes AO3170-003
- Reebok CL Lthr V69387 green halfshoes
- Smoky Men's 11EE Red bluee American Flag Brown Leather Western Square Toe Boots
- Stuart Weitzman Mulearky Beige Satin Mules, Size 6
- 211-Fiore Sassetti Wingtip Walnut color Leather shoes Men Sz 9.5
- Allen Edmonds Hinsdale shoes 10.5 D wing-tip oxfords brown leather made in USA
- CALZATURA women STIVALETTO LECROWN SUEDE blue - E063
- DC Trase Slip-on TX SE Unisex shoes - Choose SZ color
- Gentle Souls Women's Christa Ankle Strap Sandal Beige Multi Printed
- L.K. Bennett Salinas Womens Black Leather Peep Toe Pumps Heels shoes 8 40
- 8892-29040 Stivaletti women V 1969 Italia C22 CAMOSCIO purple purple 37 IT - 7 US
- Mens British Tassels Real Leather Slip on Loafers Low Heels Driving Wedding shoes
- New Balance MCRUZ Running Weiss F3
- Nike Train Speed 4 AMP TCU Horned Frogs Mens shoes 11 New Purple
- Rockport Men's Essential Details Waterproof Slip-On Loafer
- Spenco Slipper - Men's Supreme Suede Bison - 12
- VTG Guess Black Leather Side Zip Knee high Fashion Riding Boots Size 8.5
- Asics yellowlast FF 001 1071A002001 black halfshoes
- shoes PRADA LUXUEUX 1E971H black NOUVEAUX 38,5 39
- Drew Boulder Mens Orthotic Black Comfort Work shoes Waterproof Size 13 M
- GIOHEL ITALY POINTY KNEE HIGH HEEL BOOTS STIEFEL STIVALI STRETCH PELLE black 35
- Ladies Clarks Casual Unstructured Sandals Un Adorn Calm
- MORI MADE IN ITALY KNEE HIGH LUXURY BOOTS STIEFEL STIVALI LEATHER BEIGE NUDE 44
- Nike ACG Wildwood Black Yellow Men's Trainers All Sizes Limited Stock
- Philippe Model Trainers Size D 36 Multicolour Women's Leather Detail
- 1 of 4
- next ›