On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Low Varsity Red Cherry White Black SZ 10.5 (528895-102)
- Rieker 41358 bluee Leather Casual Mary Jane Bar shoes With Cut Out Details
- Tony Lama Men’s 3R Work Boots Waterproof Round Toe Steel Toe RR3210
- Stivaletti women al Polpaccio Tacco 12 Plateau 7 black Pleaser CAMEL-250
- Skechers Men's Go Run Vortex-54841 Sneaker
- New Balance 701 Wl701pk Ladies Winter Boots Padded Leather shoes Wl701
- ALIFE EVERYBODY MID PRO LEATHER SNEAKER WOMEN SHOES GREEN S91EVHMP SIZE 5.5 NEW
- Nanette Lepore Beverly Ankle Boots, Black, 6 UK
- bluendstone Boots 515 El Side Boot bluee Black Black
- ROCKY 4EURSOLE JOYFUL WOMEN'S BLACK LEATHER SLIDES RKH081 - ALL SIZES - NEW
- AGL ATTILIO GIUSTI LEOMBRUNI muted red leather ballet flats size 36 WORN ONCE
- Prada Womens Calzature Flats Vernice Soft 4 black. Size 7
- 57429 auth PROENZA SCHOULER black suede Lace-Up Combat Ankle Boots shoes 38.5
- Adidas x SNS Equipment Running Guidance 93 black Gr. 44,45,46,48,49 NEU AF5755
- Bogs Men's Stockman Hunting shoes
- CONVERSE ALL STAR CT OX BELUGA VAPOR 530048 sneakers Unisexschuhe
- FILA DISRUPTOR II 2 PREMIUM SNEAKERS SHOES FOR WOMEN WHITE PINK blueSH pink gold
- Jomos Halbschuh black
- Men's Base London Elk Lace-Up Ankle Boots In Brown - Size Uk 10.5 Eu 45
- NEW ALEXANDER WANG Kori Cut Out Heel Leather Ankle Boot shoes, Black, EU 40 595
- Nike Air Max Light C 1.0 631758-006 Sneaker Lifestyle Freizeitschuhe
- Rachel Zoe Women's Jaden Sneaker - Choose SZ color
- Skechers for Work 77036 Mens Hobbes shoes- Choose SZ color.
- Via Spiga Cai Tabac Turquoise Cuir Créateur Sandales Plateforme 7 Eu 38
- Adidas 00-47XSR5LD-IG adidas Adilette Cloudfoam Plus Summer Flipflop Womens
- ANYI LU Womens Snake Print Leather Ankle Strap Sz 39.5 Sandals NEW 200865
- CESARE AUGUSTO 234 9627 BART camoscio Calzature men Classico Stringate
- DKNY Womens Talie Pointed Toe Ankle Chelsea Boots, Black, Size 6.0 AJ9F
- GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI shoes femme Black suede thong sandal crystal embellishment
- Lanvin x H&M New Men's Metallic Royal bluee Dress Formal Oxford Loafer shoes 41
- Adidas COURT ADAPT Neo Men's Casual Cloudfoam CF shoes White Navy bluee f1
- Men's Dress shoes Cap Toe Oxford Navy bluee Leather Lace Up GIOVANNI 6502
- NEW Brunello cucinelli 39 Flats shoes Leather Sandals (net A Porter)
- NORTH FACE TRAIL CAMRYN WOMEN'S BROWN LEATHER MOCCASIN BOOTS SIZE 10 EUC
- Sale Hispanitas Anissed pumps sale ante black hi87345
- Stacy Adams Men's Madison Cap Toe Oxford Oak Multi 00012-234
- Women shoes Retro Lady High Heels Slip On Flower Pumps Handmade Genuine Leather
- Asics GEL-Rocket 8 Women Volleyball Badminton shoes White Silver
- Chelsea Boots, bluee, Crimson Red Elastic Size 10 By Chelsea & Boote
- DS NEW SZ 12 NIKE HYPERDUNK 2017 Racer bluee 897663 401 hyperrev Rev Hyperlive
- GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI Studded Suede Smoking Slippers Flats Loafers Size 8
- Ladies Gabor Ankle Boots '93731'
- Muck Tremont Matte Tall TWT-000 black non-safety wellington boot size 3-9
- Nike Air Force 1 Low Mens AO3835-400 Ashen Slate Sail Suede shoes Size 14
- Pimkie Women's Parka black (black 899a08) S
- 1 of 4
- next ›