On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|Shipping Weight:||4 pounds|
|Style:||Work Boots||Item model number:||10021610|
|color:||Sassy Chocolate||Domestic Shipping:||This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More|
|Brand:||__unknown__||International Shipping:||This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- I9 Prada Black Suede Pointy Toe Pumps Women's Sz 38 M
- Merrell J553251 Skylark Mens Coffee Leather Casual shoes (R26B) (Kett)
- Nike Air Max 90 Ice City QS New York City NYC SZ 11 ( 667635-001 )
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Caroline Ankle Boot Black Leather Ankle Boots
- UK 8 EU 42 US 10 Triumph Aimilita Dr Martens bluee floral biker leather boots
- Womens AGL 214649 beige patent leather ankle strap sandals sz. 36.5
- Aravon Women's Deliah - AR Flat - Choose SZ color
- Topshop Heidi Red Suede Leather Ankle Boots UK6 EU39 US8.5
- Vintage Stuart Weitzman Beige Leather Bows Perforated Edge Kitten Heels Sz 8.5 N
- Vans Authentic Checkerboard Sz 8.5 bluee White Gum 100% AUTHENTIC
- Brooks Addiction 13, Men’s Running shoes
- SAS Women's Sorrento LINEN Sandals Sz 6 M NEW IN BOX 159 Retail Made in USA
- 375 Stuart Weitzman Womens Hallmark Suede Loafer shoes Slate 7 NEW IN BOX
- Men 9Us Nike Air Max 90 Ez Airmax
- AD343 LE VIVALDI shoes brown gamuza hombre botines EU 41,EU 41,5,EU 43,EU 44
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2 True Form UK 9 US 9.5 DSWT
- Bottes Vintage 1983 gold -- OTTORINO BOSSI Italie -- T .37,5
- Daniele Alessandrini Moccasin shoes Leather Man Light bluee F777K523500 21 NWT
- women Kenneth Cole New York Bottes color black Black Black size 39 EU 8 US
- Jimmy Choo Fur Lined Tall Knee Quilted Flat Riding Boots CHACE Booties 40
- Men Knee High Boots Leather Zip Black Punk Motorcycle Military Riding Boots shoes
- NEW J.CREW Harlow ankle-strap pumps in gold Lurex Size 9 Hils shoes J7641
- NIKE ROSHE ONE GS 810513-001 black SCARPA GINNASTICA SPORTIVA SNEAKERS
- Pleaser Devious Domina 402 Black Leather Ankle Strap Pointed Toe D'Orsay Pumps
- shoes PRADA LUSSO 4E2569 BIANCO black NUOVE 9 43 43,5
- TOD'S NO_CODE PRINTED CALF HAIR DESERT BOOTS, size 44, new in box, 630- euro
- Adidas Adilette Luxe W cblack cblack owhite US 11 (eur 44 1 2)
- APPLE OF EDEN Marie 10 grey
- CESARE PACIOTTI BLACK CAP TOE EEL LOAFERS SHOES US 7.5
- CONVERSE ALL STAR CHUCKS SCHUHE EU 37,5 5 COMIC LIMITED EDITION VINTAGE EINHORN
- Florsheim Men's Oval Tie Driver Dirty Buck Multi Suede shoes 13297-253
- Johnston & Murphy Oxblood Deerfield II Leather Tassel Loafers shoes Sz 11 D
- Men's Classic shoes ROBERTO SERPENTINI 8746 182 Leather Black Business Made IT
- New Balance Women's Hiero V2 Trail Running Sneaker - Choose SZ color
- Nine West Womens Cavanagh Closed Toe Ankle Fashion, Black Leather, Size 7.0 VR3k
- Roxy Women's Reyes Motorcycle Boot - Choose SZ color
- 1 of 4
- next ›