On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New without box: A brand-new, unused and unworn item that is not in its original retail packaging or may be missing ... Read moreabout the condition
|UK Shoe Size (Women's):||UK 6||Heel Height:||Very High Heel (4 1/2 in or More)|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- I9 Prada Black Suede Pointy Toe Pumps Women's Sz 38 M
- Merrell J553251 Skylark Mens Coffee Leather Casual shoes (R26B) (Kett)
- Nike Air Max 90 Ice City QS New York City NYC SZ 11 ( 667635-001 )
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Caroline Ankle Boot Black Leather Ankle Boots
- UK 8 EU 42 US 10 Triumph Aimilita Dr Martens bluee floral biker leather boots
- Womens AGL 214649 beige patent leather ankle strap sandals sz. 36.5
- Aravon Women's Deliah - AR Flat - Choose SZ color
- Topshop Heidi Red Suede Leather Ankle Boots UK6 EU39 US8.5
- Adidas Zapatillas Deportivas para women F34485 whiteo Beis Nuevo
- ANGELO BERVICATO shoes 712465 Brown 36
- Nike Odyssey React Mens Running shoes Grey bluee AO9819-008
- B Brian Atwood Florencia pink e Vari colori Rettile Cuoio in Design Décolleté 9
- Handmade mens Oxford brown brogue dress leather shoes, Mens formal leather shoes
- Dr. Martens - 1460 Black Smooth Laarzen - 44
- Naot Women's Rianna Sandal Hawaiian Brown Nubuck
- Aerosoles Women's Inevitable Ankle Bootie, Black Leather, Size 11.0 3lqI
- Brand shoes genuine leather boots women lace up platform martin boots ladies aut
- Dc Heathrow Mens Footwear shoes - Black All Sizes
- Faryl Robin Women's Tall Suede America Black Boots - Size 8
- Jeffrey Campbell Draco Rock Stud Hidden Wedge Pointed Embelished Leather Boots
- Men 9.5Us Asics Gel-Quantum 360 Ko100
- New Fashion Navy Patent Leather Mens Dress Zipper Ankle Boots shoes US Size 5-12
- NIKE MENS AIR MAX 90 ESSENTIAL NAVY WHITE CASUAL SHOES 2019 BEST SELLER
- Pendleton Black bluee Wool Blend Nomad Slipper Indoor Out Casual Women shoes 7.5M
- shoes CAFéblack women Sandali Bassi IHC122203
- The Fame Monstyer Women's Flat shoes Size EU 38 (UK 5)
- 80`S VINTAGE ADIDAS ASSOCIATION BASKETBALL HI SPORT SHOES HI TOPS TOP TEN KEY
- ALLEN EDMONDS Shell Cordovan 4889 Randolph Penny Loafers Slip-on 9.5B shoes 9.5
- Camper Women's Peu Cami Low-Top Sneakers Black (Black 1) Uk 4 Eu 37. (54N)
- Converse All Star Hi M7650C Optical White Unisex UK 3-11
- Florsheim Mens Salerno Cap Toe Oxford, Black, Size 9.5
- Johnston Murphy Crown Aristocraft shoes Mens Sz 13 A Wingtip Black Made in USA
- Mens Converse All Star Hi Black Mono Canvas Trainers shoes
- NEW BALANCE X WINGS AND HORNS MRT580DI SHOES 998 997 KITH RONNIE FIEG CNCPTS 8.5
- Nine West Women's Kierstin Fabric Pump
- Rupert Sanderson Pointy Tow Pumps
- 1 of 4
- next ›