On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|Color:||Black Night/Polar White|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Stuart Weitzman bluee Jean Partisan Suede Statement Heel Pearl Sandals Sz 8M 1012
- LK BENNETT Boots Brown Suede Size 40 VL 112
- PLEASER SEXY-08 NUDE PATENT PEEP TOE STILETTO HEEL SLING BACK SHOES
- shoes ALBERTO GUARDIANI Man black Suede SU73451E-SC79
- I.WENDEL Stiefel aus Spitze Leder Strickerei Gr 40 551 gold
- Helly Hansen Women's Georgina Snow Boot
- Handmade Wing Toe Leather Boot, Brown Ankle High Dress Casual Jeans Boots
- Keen Women's Newport Hydro Fisherman Sandal Magnet Coral
- Nike Air Huarache Run 634835115 white
- NEW Air Jordan V 5 Red Suede University Tgold Black Mens shoes Rare 3M
- 206 Collective Women's Roosevelt Shearling Lamb Slide Slipper Winter Cozy Fur
- Adidas Terrex Men's Terrex Agravic - Black Black Bright Yellow - 95
- Black Leather Knee Hi Sesto Meucci Women’s 8 High chunky Heel Boots 400
- CONVERSE JACK PURCELL JP OX GREY FLEECE 107544 Low Sneakers Unisex
- Florsheim Bridgeport Mens Loafer, Mocassin & Slip-On Navy 9 US 8.5 UK
- Josef Seibel Catalonia 48, Womens Clogs Brown (88 340 Brasil) 4 UK
- LUXUS LEDER HOHE STIEFEL grey 1969 ITALY W95 ANOUK BOOTS LEATHER HIGH HEEL 37
- New 165 THE NORTH FACE Womens Sz 6 Winter Snow Boots Waterproof-Insulated Black
- NIKE AIR MAX 95 SE SIZE UK 7 EUR 41 WOLF GREY blueE NEBULA-PURPLE SLATE
- Puma Vikky Platform 36373002 black
- shoes Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2 White Cream , numero EU 42 2 3, cod.CP9366
- Teva Women's W DE LA Vina Dos Tall Boot, Bison, 6.5 M US
- 650 Tod's bluee Mocassino Clamp Suede Loafers Size US 13 Made In
- Allen Edmonds Park Avenue Oxfords Lace Up Brown Leather Cap Toe shoes USA Mens 10
- Camper Pelotas Ariel Mens Brown Leather Casual Oxford Sneaker Size 8 US 41 EUR
- DC Men's shoes Evan Smith TX Black White(BKW)
- Gentle Souls Blakely Ankle Booties, Merlot, 7.5 US 38 EU
- Kurt Geiger Womens EU Size 38 Beige Leather Ankle Boots
- Men's Nike Big Low LUX 854166-001 Wolf Grey Gum-Light Grey Sz 8-12 New in Box
- New men's smooth leather dress shoes slip on style classic simple Black
- Paraboot Men's shoes 519837 Black 16
- SPECIAL Brooks Adrenaline GTS 17 Womens Running shoes (B) (169)
- ASH SCHUHWERK FRAU STIEFELETTE STOFF SCHWARTZ - 7772
- shoes CAR SHOE BY PRADA LUXUEUX KDT46K whiteHE NOUVEAUX 37 37,5
- Dr. Martens Amphibienstiefel 1460 Smooth in Leder Weiss
- Reebok Club C 85 Mu men Yellow Scamosciato shoes da Ginnastica
- Size 7.5 - COCLICO Women's Brown Suede Ankle Boots
- VERSACE COLLECTION Medusa Black Leather Fashion Sneakers shoes 11 US 44 EU
- FRYE Jackie Button Womens Riding Boot- Choose SZ color.
- Karhu Fusion Ortix MRE Size 8 M (B) EU 39.5 Women's Running shoes Green F200242
- Men's shoes SALVO BARONE 10 (EU 43 ) elegant black shiny leather BZ153-E
- NEW REEBOK MENS SHOES DMX DUAL ALPHA 3 MID SNEAKERS DEADSTOCK SIZE 9 US
- NUNN BUSH MENS MAYFIELD STREET OXFORD CAMEL MULTI SHOES 2019 FREE POST AUST
- Rockport Women's Seven to 7 65mm Pump
- SNEAKERS women SUN68 Scarpa da Ginnastica Col.green Prato mod.Z19201 NR.36 41
- Vionic Womens Geneva Closed Toe Slip On Slippers, Tan Leopard, Size 5.0
- Vogue Womens Spring Pumps Lace Up Open Toe Ankle Strap Party Sandals Boots shoes
- ADIDAS FUTUREPACER - GREY-WHITE AQ0907
- Bugatti Men's 311101201000 Classic Boots, Black black 1000 8 UK
- ECCO Women's Shape 35 Slouch Mid Calf Boot, Black Calf, 39 M EU 8-8.5 US
- Kendall + Kylie Raquel Patent Zip Up Womens Booties Size 9 MSRP 199. 0106
- New Balance MS247FC EU 42, Männer, grey
- Nike Tennis Classic Print Tennis Women's shoes
- Schutz Women's Darussa Dress Sandal - Choose SZ color
- SNEAKER RALPH LAUREN 816-702987-001 SAYER WHITE
- 1 of 4
- next ›