On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Pleaser FLAMINGO-801SDG Platforms Exotic Dancing Clear Silver Glitter Slide Heel
- Saucony Jazz Original 2044275DKGREEN green
- shoes women black GIARDINI INVERNO A616520D 100 TRONCHETTI black
- Stylish pointy toe high stiletto heels pumps womens shoes slip on metal decor Sz
- Vince Women's VERRELL-2, Bronze 7 M US
- 9 Wood N Stream Thgoldgood Boot MANIAC 8” Realtree XTRA Waterproof Insulated 2104
- Brand New Authentic Rollie Nation Sandal Slide White Leather Size EU 40
- DS 2017 ADIDAS NMD R1 PK OG Black F 45 UK 10.5 US 11 boost primeknit NEW
- JIMMY CHOO PALLIS NUDE ESPADRILLES WEDGE PLATFORM SANDALS SHOES 42 11.5 450
- Naot Women's Kirei Wide Flat
- Nike Air Vapormax White Hydrogen bluee Pink Beam Black Size 11 UK
- Puma Men's Nrgy Neko Knit Training shoes Puma Black-high Risk Red 7.5 UK
- STOKTON SABBIA Beige Studded Leather Designer ITALY Sneakers 8 EUR 38
- Slingbacks Slip On Womens High Chunky Square Toe Solid shoes Square Toe Pumps
- Keen Venice H2 Size 7 M (B) EU 37.5 Women's Sports Sandals Astral Aura Liberty
- Nine West, Zapatilla womenes, size 35.5 EU 5US
- Womens Party Wedding Bridal Pearl Elegant Fringle Pumps Heels Prom Dress shoes
- Air Jordan Retro 13 “History Of Flight” Red White Black 414571-103 Men’s 10
- Superga Women's 2750 coloryedenimw Sneaker, Denim Multi, Size 11.0
- MUERTO-2028 DEMONIA GOTH BIKER PUNK ROCK SKULL BUCKLED SPIKED KNEE HIGH BOOT
- Nike Air Foamposite One Summit White Marble gold Sneakers Womens Size 6.5
- NIKE FLYKNIT TRAINER TRIPLE BLACK SZ 12
- AC369 MBT shoes brown white leather women ballet flats EU 37
- Adidas NMD XR 1 Night Cargo-Core CQ1954 Limited and Dead Stock Edition YOGI
- BARRETT - shoes CLASSICHE BASSE
- Cole Haan Men's Pinch Weekender LX Penny Loafer
- women Bella Vita Bottes color black Black size 41 EU 9.5 US
- Jessica Simpson Women's Parisah Pump
- Men 9Us Nike Air Presto Mid Acronium
- New Adidas ZX4000 4D Futurecraft Printed Sole White Green UK 8.5 US 9 EUR 42 2 3
- Nike Air Max Dynasty 2 II Wolf Grey Black Men Running shoes Sneakers 852430-013
- Qupid Women's Diamond 11 Dress Sandal - Choose SZ color
- Skechers Equalizer - Double Play Mens Slip-on Trainers Black
- Vespa Pop Sock Trainers Mens White Athleisure Footwear shoes Sneakers
- Women's Leather Lace Up Straps Stretch Knee High Boots Breathable Mesh Oxfords
- Avec Les Filles Womens Remi Suede Ribbon Heels Booties shoes BHFO 4465
- 1 of 4
- next ›