On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- VALLEgreen SNEAKERS shoes TENNIS women CON ZEPPA COL. BEIGE ALLACCIATE n.36
- Women Sexy High Stiletto Heel Platform Lace Up Over Knee High Boots Casual shoes
- ZARA FAUX SNAKE LEATHER ASYMMETRIC COURT SHOES VAMP HEELS UK 3 EUR 36 US 6 new
- Mint Velvet, ankle boot, grey suede, Size UK 4, EU 37, Never been worn
- Vince Camuto Women's Prafinta Ankle Boot
- PLEASER Sexy Black Multi Buckle Strap 5 Stiletto Heel Thigh High Boots
- Clarks shoes Ladies Size 37, color Grey 100846_37
- ALAIA Dark Brown Leather Side-Zip Studded Platform Ankle Boots 38.5
- Carven 9001sc182 Pink Womens shoes Size 7.5 M Fashion Sneakers MSRP 390
- Burberry Brandyner Women's High Heels Sandals Black White Snake Leather Size 10
- 6 1 2 Inch Heel, 2 1 2 Inch Platform Open Toe Heel Knee High Fringe Boot
- Adidas Pharrell Williams Nmd Black Size 9
- Bed Stu Capacity Mens Chukka Boot- Choose SZ color.
- Converse Unisex Chuck Taylor All Star HIGH Street Oxford, White Black White
- Fly London Tram Off white women Cuir Slingback Sandales shoes
- JULIE DEE 4349 BORA PANNA SANDALO women IN PELLE PANNA MainApps
- Lucky Brand Womens Sz 9.5 Over The Knee Riding Boots Lanesha Brindle Tuscadero
- New Women's size 7 Laredo cowgirl boot Black with embroidered details 3T
- Nike Air Max 90 Premium Leather men lifestyle kicks NEW vachetta tan AH8046-200
- Puma Pulse XT V2 FT Wns 18897202 orangefarbig halbschuhe
- shoes GEOX Woman Sneakers Trendy BEIGE Suede D52F2A-00021-C9006-G
- VANITY - Chaussure femme, mariage, cérémonie, escarpin, CRINOLIGNE,LIL,IVOIRE 38
- Adidas Originals Superstar Bounce Primeknit men lifestyle shoes NEW bluee S82242
- ASTORFLEX men's shoe suede with elastic BITFLEX BEATLES MADE IN ITALY
- Chooka Women's Fashion Duck Boot - Choose SZ color
- Cole HAAN Chelsea blue Wildleder Designer Pumps Absätze 6.5 (M)
- Ferragamo GIDEON Formal Men's 9 EE 42 Black Dress Oxford shoes Tuxedo Wedding
- Jean Michel Cazabat Centavo ante Castaño Diseñador Puntiagudo Cuñas 7 Eur 37.5
- Mens Adidas EQT Equipment support trainers 8.5 men's
- NEW Badgley Mischka Black Satin Crystals Embellished Pumps Heels shoes Sz 8 M
- Nike Metcon Repper DSX Mens Training Athletic shoes Sz US 8.5 Binary bluee NIB
- 65624 Brown Skecher shoes Men's Memory Foam Casual Comfort Dress Oxford Leather
- Aspics Gel Lyte III 3 Unisex Chameleon Trainers Size UK 3 - 12
- Clarks Mens Capler Plain Oxford- Pick SZ color.
- Easy Spirit Women's Nuria Snow Boot
- ROCKPORT MARSHALL PLAIN TOE MEN'S BLACK LEATHER OXFORD WIDE(W), CG8260
- SOLD OUT SIZES New Tory Burch MILLER SANDAL LEOPARD Print Leather 6 6.5 7 8 NIB
- Volcom Grimm 2 shoes Navy 9
- FRYE WEDGE SHOES - CARLIE HUARACHE - UK SIZE 6 - NEW - NO BOX - 20K+ F DBK BB204
- Keen Utility Men's Asheville ESD Aluminum Toe Work shoes Style 1017070 Size 11D
- Mens Tods Loafer shoes Suade Size 10 Uk
- NEW SOL SANA BLACK DICE CROC LEATHER COW HAIR MULE SHOES WOMEN'S US 9 39
- NWT Womens Merrell Prederra Sport GTX shoes Black Teal Retail 140
- Rocky RKYD011 Men's Alphaforce Waterproof 400G Insulated Duty Boots shoes
- SOBE Brand New Stunning Handmade Gradient Zigzag Canvas, UK 8, 230
- Vtg Frye Brown Leather Harness Motorcycle Boots 87400 Made In USA Women's 9 M
- Walking Cradles Women's Heidi Pump Leopard Patent Leather Pumps
- Adidas NMD C1 Chukka Black Suede Japanese Boost Desert shoes UK 5 US 5.5 Eur 35
- Callaghan 84702 Bear Footwear Man Fashion Casual
- EMILY-315 2 GOTH BIKER COMBAT MULTI STRAPS STUDDED LACE UP PLATFORM ANKLE BOOT
- KITH asics Ronnie Fieg GEL-Lyte 3.1 'Super Green' Sz 9 1 700
- New balance x WHIZ LIMITED x mita sneakers 'SCREEN Pack' MS574 MW US 10.0 kith
- Nike Womens Lunartempo 2 Running Trainers 818098 504 Sneakers shoes
- Sergio Rossi shoes women Beige Womens shoes Size 8 M Heels MSRP 1395
- Sokaido Tabi work boots Rubber pin spike shoes Wakaba Black I-98 From Japan
- 1 of 4
- next ›