On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|Shoe Size:||UK 6 to UK 12|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Skechers USA 64785 Mens Holdren Volsent Chukka Boot- Choose SZ color.
- Vaneli Maeve Metallic Slingback Sandals, Women's Size 8.5M, Platino
- Women's Life Stride Vanity Loafer Black White Gingham Fabric
- Alexander McQueen women's pumps heels shoes in black Calf leather Size UK 2-IT35
- Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Cali Platform
- Geox U Bayle A U927CA00022C4002 navy bluee moccasins
- MANOLO BLAHNIK PURPLE SUEDE LEATHER LACE UP FLAT SHOES SIZE UK7.5 US9.5
- Men work safety shoes steel toe reflective casual breathable boots puncture p...
- NIB PRADA BLACK LEATHER PLATFORM SLINGBACK WEDGE SANDALS 38 ITALY
- Rachel Zoe Ashlyn Laser-cut Peep-Toe Suede Bootie Ruby Red Sz 10
- THINK AIDA DAMENSCHUHE SLIPPER green D36 185
- MATT BERNSON WOMEN'S COMFORT FASHION SABER BOOT BROWN LEATHER US SIZE 8 MEDIUM
- Nike 317982 704 Dunk High Jersey gold Men Basketball shoes Size 9.5
- Pour Tous 7 Humanité Detour brown Naturel Cuir Créateur Sandales 8
- Carlos by Carlo Santana Frauen Stiefel Gruen Groesse 11 US 42 EU
- Harley-Davidson® Emmalyn Women's Slipper Boot - D83798
- Demonia Steampunk Stiefeletten Gothika-100 black
- Danner Women's Jag Low Timber Wolf Hot Sauce shoes 37398
- MIU MIU Bourgogne Heels en cuir verni, UK 7 US 10 EU 40 HEEL 5
- New Balance 575 Surplus Pack Made In UK Sz 11 Exc Cond M575SP kith fieg
- 2006 Nike Air Jordan V 5 Retro Low WHITE UNIVERSITY blueE RED 314337-141 13 11.5
- Adidas Stan Smith Suede Suede Sneaker shoes Fox Brown Burgundy M17924
- Betsey Johnson Women's Prince D'Orsay Pump
- CONVERSE JACK PURCELL OX CHOCO SHEARLING 107525 sneakers Unisex
- Florsheim Forward Lace Up Low Top Black and White Casual Leather Sneakers Sz 9
- Jeffrey Campbell black spike heeled shoes
- Men 9.5Us 2018 Nike Fire Pattern
- NEW EMU AUSTRALIA W11086 SANDY BAY HI WOMEN BOOTS WATERPROOF OAK BLK 9-11
- Nike Mens ACG Ruckel Ridge Black Teal AQ9333-002
- REPORT SIGNATURE Jaye Black Leather Fur Fold over Bootie 6.5 SOLD OUT
- Spenco Slipper - Women's Supreme Slide Black - 10
- The North Face Women Waterproof Boot Split Rock Brown Dove Grey size 9
- A BATHING APE Dr. Martens COLLAB SHOES MEN SNEAKERS BLACK UK9 NEW COW LEATHER
- Allen-Edmonds Men's Fifth Avenue Walnut Calf Oxford shoes Black 11 XW US
- CAR SHOE MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW blueE 2C4
- Diadora K-Run II Sports shoes Man Casual Gym Running Sneakers Men
- Gianfranco Ferre men's leather dress shoes black size 44
- Lacoste Women's Straightset Chukka 417 1 Sneakers
- 695 Brian Atwood Wagner Patent Leather Peep Toe Pumps Camel Beige Nude 40 9
- Art Women's 1351 Memphis Pedrera Trainers orange (Mandarin Mandarin) 6 UK
- Men Hugo Boss shoes Solar_Slid_Logo Slip-ons Black Size 13
- NEW 3900 Silvano Lattanzi handmade loafers UK 8.5 (42.5) US 9.5 FIT UK 8-42
- Nike Kobe A.D. Black Sail Gum L-Brown Men's Basketball shoes-Asst Sizes NWB
- REEBOK VENTILATOR MID BOOTS HEXALITE TECHNOLOGY
- Skechers Men's Lifestyle 65441 Moogen
- VIC MATIÉ SCHUHWERK FRAU SANDALE LEDER SCHWARTZ+silver - DCFE
- shoes beiges Marque Zadig & Voltaire size 37
- Dr. Martens 1460 Vegan silver chrome paint metallic EU 36, silver, DM24865040
- Geox Men's Federico Loafer U3257Q Black Full Grain Leather
- LACOST SHOES MISANO SPORT 31 LEATHER SNEAKER WHITE BROW NWB
- Wave Lightning Z2 (women's) ___ Size 8.5 ___ neon yellow, volleyball
- NIB NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ LEATHER Men's shoes 749571 154 White Varsity Red ALL SIZE
- Paul Green 1556-05 Grey Suede Leather Womens Slip On Heeled Court shoes
- Sam Edelman Linnie Women's Size 8.5M Gingham Multi Fabric Slip-On Flat Mules New
- Stella McCartney shoes Sneaker ELYSE STARS ITALY Woman gold 491490W1CW3 8095
- 1 of 4
- next ›