On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Skechers USA 64785 Mens Holdren Volsent Chukka Boot- Choose SZ color.
- Vaneli Maeve Metallic Slingback Sandals, Women's Size 8.5M, Platino
- Women's Life Stride Vanity Loafer Black White Gingham Fabric
- Alexander McQueen women's pumps heels shoes in black Calf leather Size UK 2-IT35
- Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Cali Platform
- Geox U Bayle A U927CA00022C4002 navy bluee moccasins
- MANOLO BLAHNIK PURPLE SUEDE LEATHER LACE UP FLAT SHOES SIZE UK7.5 US9.5
- Men work safety shoes steel toe reflective casual breathable boots puncture p...
- NIB PRADA BLACK LEATHER PLATFORM SLINGBACK WEDGE SANDALS 38 ITALY
- Rachel Zoe Ashlyn Laser-cut Peep-Toe Suede Bootie Ruby Red Sz 10
- Supra Graham CW shoes (Black Black) Men's High-Top Leather Winter Snow Boot
- Schutz Aida Dress bluee New Stripe High Heel Pump Flower Appliqué Stiletto Sandal
- Steven by Steve Madden Nahlah Womens Heeled Sandals TAUPE SUEDE 8 US 6 UK
- Tamaris 1-1-25344-32 Women Chelsea Boots,Boots,Half Boots,Ankle EU,40 EU
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star OX black white garnet EU 39,5, Frauen
- Air Jordan Force XX (AJF 20) Low- White – Red size 12
- Adidas Pro Bounce Madness 2019 Men's New Black Red Basketball Sneakers G27764
- Chocolat blue Tan Leather Cork Wamblee Sandal Platform Wedge shoes 7 New
- TOD's fashion sneakers, black leather , women's shoe size EU 39 US 9 580
- shoes Mocassins Slip On Femme MOMA 74502AA Arpino black Cuir black Vintage IT
- 400257-1590 Jean Louis Scherrer Manon Keilstiefeletten Leder camel EUR 38
- Adidas Womens Supernova Boost Running shoes B33451 bluee Green Sz 8
- BNIB TED BAKER UK5 EUR38 PINK STILETTO HIGH HEEL COURT SHOES AUTHENTIC
- Cowboy boot we are leather khaki embroidered new value 220E Heel 4 Great 37
- FRED PERRY HERRENSCHUHE HERREN LEDER SCHUHE SNEAKERS NEU SPENCER white F3E
- Hytest Safety Footwear Men's HY-VIS Black 6 EH COMP WPF Work Boot 12W
- MALLET DIVER MEN'S TRAINERS BRAND NEW SIZE UK 8 (GS10)
- New Balance H754TB Brown
- Nike Air Vapormax Flyknit Black Dusty Cactus Mens Trainers All Sizes
- REBECCA MINKOFF Womens Black Suede Ankle Booties Sz 6 M NEW 229847
- Skechers Trainers Running shoes Ladies Sneakers Trainers Trainers
- Thgoldgood Men's Academy Oxford - Choose SZ color
- AB936 MBT shoes brown leather women sandals EU 37
- Andre Assous Women's Desi Wedge Sandal
- Carvelos SEVILLE Mens Leather Smart Formal Comfort Derby Brogue shoes Bordo
- Diesel Happy Hours Lounge sneakers perforated leather sz 10
- Giorgio 1958 - classic shoes size 43 - cognac NEW
- LADIES VAN DAL COCOA SUEDE LEATHER SLIP ON PEEP TOES WEDGE HEEL CASUAL SHOES
- Adidas BB8942_10 Tubular Shadow Mens in Core Black Running White by
- BADGLEY MISCHKA Frauen Offener Zeh besonderer Anlass T-Strap Sandalen black Gr
- Men's Geox U STRADA B U6224B Sandals in Brown
- New ECCO Mens Classic Moc 2.0 Black Leather Slip On Moccasin shoes 570904 01001
- NWT AUTHENTIC PHILIPP PLEIN WHITE LEATHER SNEAKERS TRAINERS SHOES. UK 10 – EU 44
- Salvatore Ferragamo Dress Formal Loafers Men’s Size 10.5D Made In bluee
- Stacy Adams, Leather, Men's Dress shoes,Size 9M,Solid, Grey & White, Oxford New
- Womens Davina White Leather Buckle Designer Clearance Size UK 5 Ex-Display
- Casadei Black Leather & Natural Wood Wedge Sandals - Size US 8.5 (Euro 39) 298
- Donald J Pliner Gerrie Black Block Heel Pull On Boots 517, black, 8.5 US
- Gabor High-Heeled Sandals, Tucson (Smooth Leather), Copper, Wide F, Best-Fitting
- Kenneth Cole New York Womens Levon Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- Merrell Mens Moab Polar Waterproof Leather Insulated Winter Snow Boots Size 10.5
- NEW Womens HUNTER Original Tall Gloss US 8 EU 39 Bright Coral orange Rain Boots
- Ono Womens Ebba Open Toe Casual Strappy Sandals
- Ryka Women's RESONANT NRG Cross Trainer - Choose SZ color
- Sperry Men's Authentic Original shoes - Choose SZ color
- 1 of 4
- next ›