On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
|US Shoe Size (Men's):||Multiple Variations||Model:||26124592|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Skechers USA 64785 Mens Holdren Volsent Chukka Boot- Choose SZ color.
- Vaneli Maeve Metallic Slingback Sandals, Women's Size 8.5M, Platino
- Women's Life Stride Vanity Loafer Black White Gingham Fabric
- Alexander McQueen women's pumps heels shoes in black Calf leather Size UK 2-IT35
- Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Cali Platform
- Geox U Bayle A U927CA00022C4002 navy bluee moccasins
- MANOLO BLAHNIK PURPLE SUEDE LEATHER LACE UP FLAT SHOES SIZE UK7.5 US9.5
- Men work safety shoes steel toe reflective casual breathable boots puncture p...
- NIB PRADA BLACK LEATHER PLATFORM SLINGBACK WEDGE SANDALS 38 ITALY
- Rachel Zoe Ashlyn Laser-cut Peep-Toe Suede Bootie Ruby Red Sz 10
- Tory Burch SOFIA Black Leather Riding Boots Flat Buckled Equestrian Booties 10
- Isabelle 507f Multi color Navy Leather Slingbacks Pointy Pumps 37.5 US 7.5
- Ladies Rieker Stylish Wedge Heeled Sandals 624B4
- 2017 Summer Spring Ladies Casual Women Sneakers shoes Flats Chaussure shoes Plat
- Alfani Womens giliann Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 5.0
- Nike Jordan SC-1 Low Mens 599929-010 Black White Basketball shoes Size 7.5
- ECCO SHAPE 35 T BAR BLACK LEATHER EMBELLISHED SANDAL SIZE 42 8 NWOT DAY TO NIGHT
- Sioux Women's's Cambria Moccasins Black (Black) 4 UK
- Bambi by Irregular Choice Ballerinas Bashful Skunk 4329-51A
- HAIX Black Eagle Tactical 2.0 Mid, Black, 9.5, 340002-9.5 Running shoes
- 897998-001 Air Jordan Ultra.Fly 2 Black Gym Red-White Sizes 8-12 NIB
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 Butter Size 9
- Boots Suede Shearling Lined winter boots 38 NEW Janet&Janet
- Crocs women Modessa Simili- en Daim Bouton Bottes, Expresso Expresso
- Frye Dorado Equestrian Buckle Tall Womens Riding Boots Size 6 Black
- High-Top Sneakers Vans Suede Khaki Size 40
- LUMBERJACK Army Black Men's Boots 51303001B38CB001
- New El Vaquero Black Leather Studded Boots Size 36 US 6
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 20 Essential 875695600 red halfshoes
- PUMA Safety Mens Velocity SD SneakerW- Pick SZ color.
- shoes Salomon XT Wings Flyte 2 Goretex Uk-8
- T.U.K. Original Footwear Women's Kitty Face Vegan Sneaker Boot Black PU
- 1902 adidas ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR SLIP-ON Women's Sneakers Sports shoes BD8055
- Allen Edmonds SFO Loafers 12 D Black (884)
- BZ44 DI MELLA schuhe brown wildleder herren elegante EU 42,5,EU 45
- DANNER Men's shoes 693203 Green 26ｃｍ
- Gabor Rollingsoft, Halbschuh, Nubuk Oil, fango, Wechselfußbett 96.965.32
- Kiss x Puma Suede 50 Zebra Sneakers Size 10 Men NIB
- 181 FOOTWEAR WOMAN SLIP-ON SEQUINS PLATINUM - 09C4
- Asics GEL-LYTE V 5 Women's shoes H789L.7272 H789L.0202 H785L.9090 H6S6Y.7676
- MENS ALLEN EDMONDS BLACK HILLS GREY GREEN LEATHER OXFORD DRESS SHOES 9.5
- New Balance 410 Sneaker Turnschuhe Sportschuhe black Style Trend Fashion WOW
- Nike Rosherun HYP - 636220 001
- Roberto Cavalli Satin Strappy Sandals Sz 8.5 US 39 EU 675 NWOB
- Sneakers Homme Adidas Originals MC-X1 ash ash ftwwht La shoes des MC, by Adidas
- Vionic with Orthaheel Technology Men's Tide Toe Post Sandal Brown
- Caviarr Steve Madden shoes Slip-ons Black Men New
- Double H Men's 10 Harness Boot Sierra Black Cowboy Boots
- Gentle souls by Kenneth Cole Lark-May Flat Sandals, Coral, 7.5 US 38 EU
- KISS-269RS Pleaser High-Heels Plateausandaletten black Lack Strass Spiegel
- Merrell, Deportivos de Moda womenes
- NIB - JOHNSTON MURPHY Men's 'WALLACE' SHEARLING Bron Oiled CHUKKA BOOTS - 12
- PACO LUI LAU Brown Leather Croc Print Strap goldtone Hardware Size 11 44 Spain
- Salomon Quest 4D 2 Gore-Tex® Hiking Boots - Waterproof, Nubuck (For Men)
- Sports shoes Fitness Woman Skechers Ultra Flex 3.0 Sneakers Running Trainer
- 1 of 4
- next ›