On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Skechers USA 64785 Mens Holdren Volsent Chukka Boot- Choose SZ color.
- Vaneli Maeve Metallic Slingback Sandals, Women's Size 8.5M, Platino
- Women's Life Stride Vanity Loafer Black White Gingham Fabric
- Alexander McQueen women's pumps heels shoes in black Calf leather Size UK 2-IT35
- Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Cali Platform
- Geox U Bayle A U927CA00022C4002 navy bluee moccasins
- MANOLO BLAHNIK PURPLE SUEDE LEATHER LACE UP FLAT SHOES SIZE UK7.5 US9.5
- Men work safety shoes steel toe reflective casual breathable boots puncture p...
- NIB PRADA BLACK LEATHER PLATFORM SLINGBACK WEDGE SANDALS 38 ITALY
- Rachel Zoe Ashlyn Laser-cut Peep-Toe Suede Bootie Ruby Red Sz 10
- Stuart Weitzman Women's Giftwrap Slide Sandal
- PRADA Women's Brown Tan Textured Leather Silver Buckle Heels Pumps Size 8 38.5
- SERGIO ROSSI WOODEN PLATFORM HEELS - SIZE 4 37
- CLARKS Women's Raisie Vita Boot
- Gola classics shoes women shoes Coaster Rainbow CLA671 Stile Vintage
- Sam Edelman Penny Riding Boot In Whiskey Size 7
- NEW GINO VENTORI GIFT WOMENS COMFORT LEATHER MID HEEL MULE SLIDE SANDALS
- 2Star Mann niedrige Turnschuhe 2SU 1821 WHITE ICE P18g
- Robert Clergerie shoes 554972 Black
- Vintage nike flight basketball shoes good condition size us 11.5 used
- 2016 VNDS Jordan 11 Retro PREMIUM Pinnacle Grey Suede 914433003 Size 12
- Adidas Tubular Entrap Pk W Primeknit White s76547 Trainers shoes Originals Women
- Black Suede Knee High Boots, Size 5
- Converse X by John Varvatos Chuck Taylor HI Silver Black M12
- FLY LONDON YEVEN DESIGNER TAN LEATHER PLATFORM WEDGE BOOTS UK 3 EUR 36
- Hugo Boss Maze Lowp knit Trainers Dark Green Size UK 11 EU 45
- Made In Italia shoes Woman's Sandals Casual Elegant Black 67428 Trendy BDX
- New balance M1300BOK BLACK SILVER Mens men's trainers Made in USA
- Nike Air Max Sequent 4 Utility Casual Walking Premium Wolf Trainers UK Size 6
- RALPH LAUREN DENIM & SUPPLY AUBRIE CONCHO-TASSEL WOMEN BLACK ANKLE BOOT (SZ 9B)
- Skechers Men's Burgin-Tarlac Brown Leather Steel Toe EH Work Boot 77143 BRN
- TOD'S DAMENSCHUHE SLIPPER BUSINESS 36 METALL 2738019032 NEU
- AD534 CALPIERRE SPORT shoes grey cuero hombre elegantes EU 39,EU 42,5
- ANTICA CUOIERIA 14566 MOCASSINO men IN PELLE blue MainApps
- Caterpillar Men's Vaught Canvas & Suede Wingtip Tan Oxfords MSRP 130 Size 13M
- DIOR Squash Yellow Leather Logo Charm Peep-Toe Heels Slingbacks 37.5
- Gioseppo Womens 44067 Closed Toe Heels, Black 5 UK
- Lanvin Cream Beige And gold Strappy Platform Wedges Size 9
- ADIDAS BY STELLA MCCARTNEY WOMEN'S RUBBER SLIPPERS SANDALS NEW ADISSAGE BLAC 498
- Badgley Mischka Lillian Sandals-Women's size 11 Silver
- Men's GRENSON black leather finbar shoes sizes 7 boxed
- New fashion Womens Alluring Ankle High Heels Round Toe Zipper Fringe Party boots
- NWT Vans Disney Limited 90th Anniversary Slide On Minnie's Bow True White LAST 1
- Salvatore Ferragamo Gancio Front & Suede Driver In bluee Bwn Sz 7.5D. Retail 560
- STANCO White bluee Luxurious Grain Calf Leather Mocassini Loafer shoes 10.5 US
- Women's El Naturalista Kentia N5100 Ballet Pumps In orange - Size Uk 4 Eu 37
- Chaco ZCloud X2 Metallic Silver
- Dr Martens 8 Loch 1460 Pascal Grey Buttero 13512021 Original Classic Doc
- Genuine British Army Issue LOWA Elite MOD Desert Womens Combat Boot Selected
- K-Swiss 95824-130-M Womens ST329 Heritage Sneaker- Choose SZ color.
- Miss L Fire ladies size 3 black suede shoes
- NIB CHARLES DAVID MUSTARD LEATHER EXUDE ANKLE STRAP WOODEN HEEL SANDALS 7
- Palladium Pampa Sport Cuff Wpn Boots - Amber gold Mid Gum All Sizes
- SALVATORE FERRAGAMO BLACK FLATS WOMEN SHOE 6 1 2 2A
- Spring Step Women's Norma Pump Black Leather Suede Comfort shoes
- 1 of 4
- next ›