On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, unworn and undamaged item in its original packaging (such as the original box ... Read moreabout the condition
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Skechers USA 64785 Mens Holdren Volsent Chukka Boot- Choose SZ color.
- Vaneli Maeve Metallic Slingback Sandals, Women's Size 8.5M, Platino
- Women's Life Stride Vanity Loafer Black White Gingham Fabric
- Alexander McQueen women's pumps heels shoes in black Calf leather Size UK 2-IT35
- Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Cali Platform
- Geox U Bayle A U927CA00022C4002 navy bluee moccasins
- MANOLO BLAHNIK PURPLE SUEDE LEATHER LACE UP FLAT SHOES SIZE UK7.5 US9.5
- Men work safety shoes steel toe reflective casual breathable boots puncture p...
- NIB PRADA BLACK LEATHER PLATFORM SLINGBACK WEDGE SANDALS 38 ITALY
- Rachel Zoe Ashlyn Laser-cut Peep-Toe Suede Bootie Ruby Red Sz 10
- Teva W FREEWHEEL WASHED CANVAS-W Womens Freewheel Washed Canvas shoes
- Luxury Women's Lace Up Wedges Heels Sweety Rhinestone Butterfly Sandals shoes sz
- TOD'S Black Suede Women's shoes -size UK 4.5 EU 37.5-
- Reebok Floatride Run Ultraknit Womens Running shoes - Grey
- Anthropologie Embroidered Ouigal Phoebe Mule Slides Sandals Sz 37 US 6.5
- Frye Ladies Melissa Button Tall Boot Black Leather Size 6.5 GUC
- New Balance M855bei 42 43 44 44,5 45 Made in England Classic M 855 BEI 576 770
- Steel Ground Combat Boots Black Leather 10 Eye Safety External Cap Punk
- MSGM SCHUHWERK FRAU ÜBERSTREIFEN STOFF SCHWARTZ+FUCHSIE - E9A2
- Air Jordan 11 Low Closing Ceremony
- 2015 Jordan 6 VI Retro Low Infrared White Sz 9.5
- Adidas Terrex Women Swift R2 GTX Outdoor Schuh AC8058 NEU
- Black Men's suede shoes Nikopol 1709 black
- Converse Women CTAS Dainty Canvas OX 553373C Sneakers bluee UK6 BCF78
- FLY London Women's Paya Boot,Mushroom,37 EU 6-6.5 M US
- Hunter Womens VINTAGE GREEN NEOPRENE Norris Field Welliies Wellington Boots
- Magnum Viper Pro 8.0 Leather Waterproof, Unisex Adultsâ ™ SRA Work Boots, Black
- New Balance 997 OG Kith X United Arrows And Sons Sz 7.5 US IN HAND
- Nike Air Safari QS 2018 Retro Jungle Flashback Black Monrach Men's Size 11.5 NEW
- RARE Ronnie Fieg New Balance 1600 Daytona CM1600KH Kith NYC size 11.5 Limited
- SKECHERS shoes DA women MOCASSINI SLIP-ON IN TESSUTO ELASTICIZZATO black
- TOD'S Size 4 Lavender Purple Suede Driver Sole Loafer Flats
- Adidas Adizero Crazy Light Basketball shoes - Size 15 (EU51)
- Aquatalia Blake Green Printed Suede MEN SIZE 9.5
- Cesare Paciotti Leather Stiletto Heels Black Ankle Boots EU 39
- Dockers Women's 35IZ301-610100 Combat Boots Red (Dunkelred 720) 6 UK
- Giuseppe Zanotti Men's Crystal-Strap Mid-Top Sneaker,
- Latest Nike Air Pegasus 89, Men's Trainer (UK SIZES 6 -12 )Olive-Brand New Box
- ADIDAS F 1.3 LE B28058 MEN'S TREKKING HIKING SHOES WINTER BOOTS NEW MODEL 2019
- Balenciaga Triple S pink Fluorescent Pink Black Chunky Sneaker Trainers 36 38
- Men's Italian Designer Giovanni Conti 1876, Slip on Dressy shoes
- NEW J Crew Collection Dulci Calf Hair Leopard Kitten Heels 345 A9771 Sz 6.5
- OLUKAI MENS SANDALS MEA OLA TAN DARK JAVA SIZE 9
- Salvatore Ferragamo Studio 17804 Size 9.5 D Leather Horse Bit Made In Blk
- Steve Madden Triggah Black Leather Men's Fashion Boots Size 13
- Swedish Hasbeens Mimmi Bow Clogs 38 Tan EUC
- Cecelia New York Harper Knotted Block Sandal Sz 8 Brand New
- Double H Women's Ultragel Ice Buckaro Leather Cowboy Boots Size 10 W DH5159 USA
- Gentle Souls by Kenneth Cole Women's Binx Ankle Bootie, Black, Size 6.5
- Kith X adidas Soccer Nemeziz 17 TR Cobras Black Size 8,5 UK
- Messeca Women's Size 9.5 M US Mila T-Strap Platform Sandal Heel, Crochet Beige
- NIB - ROCKY Men's '6114 MOBILITE 6 ST WP Deer Soggy WORK BOOT - 13 47 (M)
- Padders CAITLIN Ladies Women Leather Extra Wide 2E 3E Touch Fasten shoes Bronze
- Salomon Quest winter gtx size 9 Black
- Spring '19 New Men's Brooks Ghost 11 GTX Running shoes - Size 9 -Black orange
- 1 of 4
- next ›